The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 31, 2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Wendyj

Savage Hog Hunter

Saw a pretty neat Savage this evening chambered in 308. It's a Savage and if I don't like it can always modify to something else. Had a 308 in 11 twist and 12 twist. Not to sure about the 10. If I'm not mistaken thT for the 168s and up. I want it pretty much to have as a truck gun. $410.00 seems decent deal I think. I've got about 60 180 grain Barnes ttsx loaded up from a prior 308. Anyone shot one of these out to 300 yards or so yet? It ain't pretty but I can always throw a bell and Carlson or Boyd stock on it.
Old August 1, 2015, 07:17 AM   #2
jmr40

The Hog hunter has a blind magazine so that limits options on aftermarket stocks. It is essentially a Savage Precision Carbine with a cheaper stock and iron sights so accuracy should be pretty good. I seriously considered one but ultimately decided they are too heavy for my intended uses, they are well over 7 lbs naked. Scoped they will be 8-8.5 lbs and that is more than I want to carry around in a carbine.

That is a very good price though and I'd not worry about the twist. That is something I think most of us overthink. All of my 308's are either 10 or 11 twists and shoot everything from 130-180 gr just fine.

I ended up with the Ruger Predator in 308 instead. It is almost 1/2 lb lighter with optics on it. So far I've not fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards that didn't have all three bullet holes overlaping. Is shooting well under 1" at 200 yards.

Not that the Hog Hunter is a bad rifle, but this sells new for under $400 and fills the role I'm looking for much better. It is still a hair under 7 lbs as shown.

Old August 1, 2015, 08:52 AM   #3
tobnpr

Quote:
Is shooting well under 1" at 200 yards.
Wow...impressive.

Despite the heavy contour barrel, guess it's the stock keeping the weight down.

Does that have an integral bedding block (like a V-block) of some sort?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 1, 2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Wendyj

The RAR is a great little rifle. I need to order a Boyd stock for mine as groups don't always look as tight as this picture but this is a group out of a RAR in 243 with 22 inch barrel. Loaded to fit the mag. Everyone told me to seat longer but I found out from some loads that the Barnes like a good jump. This is only 2 shots as I had a failed primer on 3rd round but it sure impressed me.
I had the same rifle he has but when I took the stock off to lower the trigger I never could get it torked back right to keep the forearm off the left side of the barrel. Boyd wasn't making stocks for them at that time and instead of doing some sanding I traded it off for a Tikka t3 lite. Should have kept it. I haven't done anything to the 243 but lower the trigger pull and it's a real shooter. I can't single feed in it for crap though. Keeps pushing bullet straight up. Feeds out of magazine great.

Last edited by Wendyj; August 2, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old August 2, 2015, 05:21 PM   #5
bamaranger

hog rifle

Yeah, I've got one and have run it out to 200, but not 300. My rifle shows a slight preference for heavy slugs, clustering 180 gr Nosler BT's into tiny .5-.6 groups at 100. It also shoots 168 and 150 Matchkings quite well too.

I recently removed the Nikon 3x9 entry level scope that came with the rifle, and attached a Leupold fixed 6x, matte. A Warne base and XtR rings hold the scope. I couldnt resist putting something on that threaded muzzle, so it got a GI A2 typle flash hider. Overall the rifle has a very business like appearance I think.

I like the blind mag (can't loose the mag) and the green stock. I may give the stock a NULA type stripe job someday if I get bold enough. The rifle comes in a bit heavier than many folks like for a 20" carbine and I was surprised how chubby mine feels, especially with an ammo cuff on board.

Your price seems a tad high to me, with no scope or rings, but it will bring what it brings in your area.
Old August 2, 2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Wendyj

They were around $500.00 at Bass Pro shop so I am going out the door with muzzle brake and already had a 20 moa base for it for $500.00 and some change. Decided against putting Bushnell on for now. Will play around with open sights until I can afford another Vortex viper for it. I've still got about 100 Barnes ttsx 180 grain and maybe half that i had loaded for the Tikka I had. Have about 80 178 Amax I haven't loaded yet and 30 or so 165 smk. I'm ok to experiment with bullets for a few weeks or so.
I see your in Northern Alabama so our prices should run close. I haven't seen one in a scope combo but most combos I've seen I wouldn't keep the scope anyway. We are talking about the hog Hunter I guess. That's what I chose.

Last edited by Wendyj; August 2, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old August 5, 2015, 01:02 AM   #7
bamaranger

mine

My rifle was not a combo deal, but used. As I've changed bases, rings and scope, it was not the good deal I started out with, but .....you know how it goes! I'd like to think my accessories lent themselves to a more heavy duty/rough use rifle.

The three guys I know who have Hog Rifles are all pleased, and the rifles group well.
Old August 5, 2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Wendyj

Finally got it picked up today. Looks decent. Put cheaper 3/9 Vortex on it for now. No use trying irons when I can't see groups at 100 and wasting my hand loads. Looking forward to how it shoots stock with the muzzle brake. Still thinking of going with B and C stock if groups are not up to par. That or a Boyd's stock and a bedding job. That willhaveto wait awhile for some more funds
Old August 6, 2015, 11:58 AM   #9
bamaranger

which?

Will you advise what you attached to the muzzle?? My GI flash hider seems not to effect my groups at all. A true muzzle brake can be really noisy in .308, especially the short barreled Hog Rifle I'd think.
Old August 6, 2015, 01:07 PM   #10
str8tshot

Congrats on the purchase. I bought a hog hunter a while back and like it. I have only runs few hundred rounds through it, but it shoots great. I too found the irons less than helpful, mostly due to my eyes.
Old August 6, 2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Wendyj

Bama, I put an advanced armament muzzle brake on it. I have one on my Tikka 260 and it's not all that noisy. Mine only blows out the sides and not all the way around. I haven't shot this one yet. Tried to get screws out to lower trigger to something liveable besides 4 lbs and front Allen head is seized and stripped out in the head. Called Savage and they are shipping a couple extra screws for free. Then back to gun smith to tap screw out. Rear was about to fall out. Extractor seems weak compared to my other guns. Bolt has to have a good fast pull to eject a bullet all the way. Was just loading live ammo to make sure it was going to fit in the blind box mag. Bolt also seems a lot rougher than my Tikka RAR and Remington. Going to shoot this weekend even with heavy trigger. Guess I'll see what I think of it then. Hate the stock. Going to go with Boyd's or B and C if it groups good. Do you all have the same issues I having with the bolt being so rough or am I Tikka ruined forever.
Old August 7, 2015, 08:15 PM   #12
Wendyj

It's ready for the range tomorrow but has a lot more to add.

Last edited by Wendyj; June 4, 2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old August 8, 2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Wendyj

I personally think for a stock gun it's a keeper. Bolt got better as day went by. Muzzle brake was nice for me anyway. It done better than I thought.

Old August 8, 2015, 01:49 PM   #14
Wendyj

178 Amax

Old August 9, 2015, 02:32 AM   #15
bamaranger

shooter

Looks like your Hog is a shooter, and about what others (and me) are getting too.

Your comment about weak extraction was interesting, as my rifle extracts well enough, but seems to exhibit weak ejection.....weaker than my other Savage bolts anyhow, and I suspect a weak (or lighter) ejector spring. It works...but they sort of dribble over the side of the receiver.

I should strip the bolt and clean it, before I start dorking with springs.
Old August 9, 2015, 11:17 AM   #16
Wendyj

I noticed it finally smoothed out a little at the range but the extraction is just like yours. Just kind of lobs them out to the side. If I uncha,bet a live round without a real fast pull it just turns it about 60 degree angle and stays there. I need better glass on mine. The 3/9 Vortex diamondback is ok but it's hard to see little targets. I would like to have another 6/20 Viper like I've got on my 260 but I don't want to fool with ao in hunting situation.