The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
ZVP

Factory shell dimensions?

I just Mice'd some Remington 20 Ga #4's and some Estate 20 ga 7 1/2's and got the answer why the Estates just flll into the chambers of my Stoger and the remingtpns need to be pushed in!
The bases of both brands measured .790 but the crimp on the Remingtons was a solid .010 larger thus creating the need for a solid push to chamber them.
Is this discrepency in the crimp dimensions common?
To be honest, the chambers had at least 1 box of shells thru them since I bought the gun and who knows how many with the previous owner?
So I cleaned the chambers with a brass brush and then brushed them clean with a nylon brush but the chambering difficultys still were present though a little less.

I used to own a Savage SxS 12 ga that never had chambering problems and [I] am wondering if this problem is present mainly in the 20Ga SxS's
The powerfull action of a pump would easilly chamber a "tight" shell through mechanical force and I would guess the same for a 20ga autoloader?

I am also guessing that when under fire a slightly tight fitting shell wouldn't be noticed...
I
'll poliah her up real well and live with it,
ZVP
Thanks,
ZVP

Last edited by ZVP; February 19, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes, it is common to see some differences in different brands of shotshells...especially the cheap shells like Estate, etc.. ( Estates are the cheap version of Federal shotshells )......and you will even see some differnences in the different brands of Remington shotshells ..between their econo line of shells - Gun Club..vs STS or STS Nitro shells...

Remember - shotshells are measured in terms of length after they are fired...so please don't make the mistake of shoving a 3" unfired shell into a gun that only has a 2 3/4" chamber ..( and while it will fit - unfired ) ...its it not safe to shoot a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber...( and before you laugh - I see guys say it often, when they're talking about chambers in older guns that aren't marked...."oh, just drop a shell in, and see if it fits ??? "... No, No, No...

Its possible the chambers on your gun are a little tighter than optimum...but
Old February 19, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3
.45 COLT

What did the crimps mic at? Standard for 20 Gauge is 0.684", +0, -0.020.

I don't see any dimension on a 20 Gauge that matches the 0.790" you mention.

DC
Old February 20, 2013, 01:42 AM   #4
ZVP

DC
I measured at the edge of the crimp right on the rim. I'M TH[I]NK[I]NG THAT 3
#1 I have tight chambers, #2 My Remington shells are crimped oversize, #3 that when I get the chambers sparkling clean, polish with steel wool and fire these shells, that they'll come out like normal.
My Stoger has 3" chambers though I doubt I'll ever fire one. I bought the gun for low recoil due to a bad sholder.
Last, the gun closes like normal with these shells though they extract fully, you still have to grab the rims with an old shell to extract them fully. Note: these are losded shells, unloades should come out normally I hope!
HE-He maybe this is a true "Uplander" chmbered for low bse #7 1/2's (LOL)!
BPDave
PS
Never had any problems like this with a 12ga SxS...
Old February 20, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5
BigJimP

It sounds to me like you have a sizing problem on your reloads....check the sizer on your press ....make sure its operating properly ....and check them with a go - no go gague...( you can get the gague from MEC and other places )..
Old February 20, 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
ZVP

Just finished up!

I ran a brass chamber brush around in the Break-free (2 days soaking) chambwes and then wiped the Krud out. I re aoolied Break-free to 0000 ateel Wool and ran the chambers through with a tight fitting wad of wool and a drill motor. Not stopping, constantlly moving, the 0000 wool.
I then wiped the whole mess dry and cleaned the barrels.
Now putting a 29ga 7/12/ 3/4 oz shell in, it just drops in.
Thw 2 3/4" #4 Phesant Load by Remington, now easilly enters till the brass contacts the mouth and then you need a slight finger pressure to botton=m it!
Thanks for the tips guys, they really worked!
ZVP