The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Anyone use DampRid in powder box?

I was just walking around in a local store and noticed this stuff called DampRid and was just wondering if anyone ever used it in the box where you keep your powders.
Old August 31, 2012, 11:23 AM   #2
j357

I do not use damp rid in much anymore. I have never tried their products in the proposed location. Most of their products are calcium chloride based. As the product absorbs moisture, it turns into a slurry of saltwater. The regular stuff may be useful in a gun safe, but it produces a liquid you dont want to have come in contact anything metal. They do have a charcoal based product but I believe it also has the regular stuff in it as well. You dont want to have any of the hanging bag units laying down, as the liquid produced can leak out.

If you arent already using something that is similar, I would suggest searching for Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dessicant Dehumidifiers at Midway or another retailer. I use them in several places and can say they work great.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/799...-feet-canister
Old August 31, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
jwrowland77

The DampRid actually came in a hard plastic container where all you do is open the top pour contents into a catch inside the hard plastic container.

I have a hard plastic bin with lid and was thinking about putting this container inside the box with the powders.

Below is a picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346430594.801911.jpg
Old August 31, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
j357

That looks like the typical container/tub which has an upper basket inside that is removable, as the crystals absorb moisture they turn into the slurry and drip to the bottom. That liquid is the problem in my opinion. If your hard plastic bin/tote is tipped or dropped it could slosh or spill out. Not likely to happen, but possible. You could wipe it up and off the powder containers in the unlikely event it happens.
My thought is to use silica gel that can be found in cheaper forms than the containers I linked you to if you are so inclined. It is also the primary ingredient in many cat litters and is used for drying flowers. You can get it at a hobby lobby or walmart if you want to buy it in bulk form an repurpose it for powder bin use, just put it in a sock and drop in the bin.
Old August 31, 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
math teacher

Walmart sells Mimi cat litter, a silica crystal, for about $4.17 for four pounds. For your purpose it should work great if used as suggested above. I bought 12 bags yesterday as it is half the price of any other brand. No I don't have that many guns. My wife raises show cats, but I keep some in the gun safe.