The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 26, 1999, 01:29 PM   #1
DblTap

The first one is a revolver, five rounds, the barrel has "U S Revolver Co" and "Made in USA" stamped on the flat top. The grips appear to be plastic (?) with the letters "US" near the top. The barrel is 3" long and the serial number is 248XX. It appears to be a .32 caliber. The barrel still has the packing in it from the original shipment.

The second one is a semi-auto, a .25 caliber and the markings are "C.G. Haenel Suhl Schmeisser's Patent". This is in very nice shape with the original holster, serial number 153XXX.

Any ideas on the background of these guns?

Thanks
DblTap
Old August 27, 1999, 08:20 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

According to The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns by A.B. Zhuk your revolver appears to be made by Iver Johnson for the U.S. Revolver Co. The brand name was used until 1940. It is basically a copy of the Iver Johnson Model 1900. It was available in .22 rimfire, .32 rimfire, .32 centerfire or .38 centerfire; with 2.5, 4.5 or 6 inch barrel. Five shot (seven in .22 only). A modernized version of the American Bull Dog. Page 113 #735, page 107 #685.
The second weapon appears to be the Haenel Model I; C.G. Haenel Waffen-u. Fahrradfabrik, Suhl, c.1921-8. 7.65 mm auto. Capacity six rounds. Usually credited to the Schmeissers, Louis and Hugo, the blowback pistol was made to patents granted in 1910 and 1921 to protect the method of securing the barrel and a means of preventing the magazine being removed whilst the safety catch was in the firing position. There was also a Model II that was similar externally the Walther Model 9, with the most distinctive feature being a detachable barrel. Page 216 #1785.
Old August 27, 1999, 10:32 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DblTap:
Cannot seem to locate the U.S. Revolver. Will continue to look.

My Records indicate that your Henel Suhl Schmeisser's Patent is the Haenel Model II; C,G, Haenel Waffen Fahradfabrik, Suhl 1927-32. Designed by Hugo Schmeisser, this gun is similar externally to the Walther Model 9.

HJN
Old August 27, 1999, 02:19 PM   #4
DblTap

Thanks.

DblTap
Old August 28, 1999, 06:31 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

On the semi-auto; if the top of the barrel is the same height as the slide it's the Model I, if the barrel height is lower than the slide it's the Model II. Also my book shows the Model I with stocks that have a monogrammed HS intertwined (sort of looks like the St. Louis Cardinals logo) and the Model II has Schmeisser across the top of the stocks.