The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2009, 07:14 AM   #1
call91145

power source for trimmer

I just bought a power adaptor for my Forster trimmer. Is a cordless screwdriver , not a drill, enough power for this. The ones I have seen run 180 rpm, which doesn't seem like enough. But on the other hand, it is probably faster than you are doing it by hand. What is everyone else using?
Old April 24, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Those and variable speed drills are commonly used. Adding one of those foot-long spring like flex extensions can help keep you from accidentally biasing the load to one side of the journal or the other. This assumes the adapter doesn't come with one? You don't want to run the bearings in your bench trimmer as fast as a power trimmer like the Gracey or the Giraud goes. They aren't designed for it and won't last if you do. The 180 RPM number should be fine, and you could probably double that if you keep it freshly lubed. 30W single-weight motor oil is just fine for that kind of service, and cheap.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old April 25, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Inspector3711

Congrats on the Forster... I'll never buy another brand... Completely sold on their trimmer.

Anyway, when I got the adapter I bought a cheap cordless screwdriver. After a couple of sessions I scrapped that idea. The charge didn't last long enough and it takes way to long to recharge. The other problem is that it didn't have enough torque.

I switched over to my 14.4V Dewalt drill and found it to be perfect. I could probably trim 500 or more with each charge plus I have another battery always ready on the charger. I just lay the drill on it's side on a couple of old books to keep weight off of the trimmer. I only run it in low gear to keep the RPM's reasonable.

Unclenick's idea about a flex extension is a great one. I'll have to look for one. I keep the cutter shaft lubed with fresh Triflow about every 400 cases and it's holding up just fine.