The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2014, 01:48 PM   #1
arcaveman

Rust Removal from Cap & Ball

Hey guys, I recently had a friend give me an old replica black powder revolver that was his dad's. The problem is it's rusted all to heck! Any ideas about how to easily remove rust? Thanks for any help!
Old April 12, 2014, 01:53 PM   #2
gunslinger2000

Personally I wouldn't remove the exterior rust. I would just periodically polish with oil. I use rust brown finish on several of my percussion guns. Gunslinger
Old April 12, 2014, 01:59 PM   #3
arcaveman

Yeah the rust on the outside isn't really the issue, the main thing is rust in the bore and cylinder. Mostly just want to get the gun to where it will function properly again.
Old April 12, 2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Kadmos

I tend to do this more with old hand tools or pocket knives...haven't had a need to do it with a gun.

But just some extra fine steel wool, WD40, and elbow grease.

Although for the bore and cylinder some wd40 and a brass bristle bore brush will probably work best
Old April 12, 2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Kappe

Hoppe's #9 and #0000 steel wool has worked very well for me in the past. Use a bore brush for the barrel and chambers.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
BirchOrr

It really...

...depends on how bad the rust inside the barrel. I have plugged and soaked them for weeks in the past with either Kano Kroil or (home-brew) 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. If there's not major pitting, They will come out sweet!

On the other hand, if it's really bad after doing the above, go after the inside of the barrel with some JB non-imbedding bore cleaning compound on a patch over a wire brush in a cordless drill.

All the best,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 13, 2014, 07:27 PM   #7
arcaveman

Thanks everybody. So far i soaked it over night in hoppe's #9 and used some extra fine steel wool and it's gotten a heck of a lot of it off. So far very pleased with it
Old April 13, 2014, 07:43 PM   #8
gyvel

You might find that 0000 steel wool works better with turpentine. Turpentine seems to dissolve rust.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:42 PM   #9
olyinaz

There is a product called EvapoRust that will dissolve rust while leaving steel and iron unharmed. It's not an acid and wont harm other metal either. Frankly, it's amazing stuff. What it will do however is remove blue or any other oxide on the steel, so do consider that.

You can plug the bore and use it in there and soak the internal parts in it. Or just soak the whole thing - you can't overdo it, it'll stop when it's done. It leaves the good steel a dull gray that buffs very nicely with steel wool. Works great, lasts a long time.

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

Oly
Old April 14, 2014, 03:41 AM   #10
Kadmos

Quote:
There is a product called EvapoRust that will dissolve rust while leaving steel and iron unharmed. It's not an acid and wont harm other metal either. Frankly, it's amazing stuff. What it will do however is remove blue or any other oxide on the steel, so do consider that.
I've used it before and will attest it does work rather well.

However, I don't like the finish it leaves at all. Just seems unnatural to me. Never tried to buff it afterwords, may have to try that.

The reason I use WD40 is because it lubricates the steel wool so if not overdone you can take off rust but leave patina intact.

I save the Evaporust for stuff like car parts, I don't care if some engine part is a weird gray.

It's just a matter of personal taste...but that stuff really does work!
Old April 14, 2014, 07:01 AM   #11
mehavey

EvapoRust (remover) doesn't leave a "finish" per se.
Just wipe the black rust residue off with a paper
towel/turpentine(whatever) .

Bright metal underneath (See here):
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...73&postcount=2