The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Georgian

New 1860 Army

Hey yall. I have a chance to get a NIB ASM 1860 Army, 200 LRB, complete with a flask, nipples, capper, powder measure for $250 to my door. What are the difference btw the ASM and the Uberti/Pietta? From the pictures, it looks just like an Uberti. It has deep, beautiful color case hardening, and rich blueing. I know little to nothing about ASM. Also, what replacement nipple size would they take?

God Bless
Old March 24, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Kappe

Beautiful revolver! I believe ASMs take the same size nipple as Ubertis.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Three main differences:

1. Internal parts may not have undergone the same hardening treatment that the Uberti does.

2. Parts are hard to come by if something breaks.

3. I think you will find the fit and finish on more recent Pietta/Uberti pistols to be superior.

I have a lot of ASM pistols and my opinion is that when they were being made they were near the top of the quality spectrum.

I think the deal is worth 250.00. But no more.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:02 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I have a 1861 Navy that was made by ASM and sold under the CVA label. It's probably one of the nicest looking revolvers I've had over the years - great fit and finish, beautiful wood - very impressive.

My only concern is with the internals as Doc points out I've heard they are on the soft side but so far, mine has had no problems in regards to that. If I do have a problem, it may be hard to find any parts and they'll have to be fitted from other makes I guess.

Irregardless of that . . . you got a nice looking Army. Shoot it, enjoy it the heck out of it and don't fret too much about "what might happen" . . . just enjoy it. It will last you a long time.

If worse comes to worse and you do have problems . . part it out and sell 'em on flea bay. I've done that with several "parts revolvers" and it just blows my mind on what folks pay for parts. The parts brought much much more than I had into the revolvers to begin with. Then you take that money and put it towards another Army (if that's what you like) and keep on shooting!

Congrats on your find and enjoy! It should be a good shooting handgun and will put a big smile on your face! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63