The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2005, 02:37 PM   #1
churchillburke

Cheap ammo Surplus ammunition Best place to buy

My first post. Hi. I've done a search and there don't appear to have been any recent threads on the best place to buy decent cheap ammo. Wally-World (I finally figured out that was Wal-Mart) appears to be the consensus place to purchase and I've bought some reasonably priced ammo there. FMJ .40 for $.17 and 9mm for $.12

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm now looking for target ammo but would be interested in SD loads as well.

Thanks.
Old September 19, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
ScaryWoody

Here are some of my favorite on-line sources:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.ammoman.com
Old September 19, 2005, 03:02 PM   #3
dave_in_delaware

Welcome to the forum! I only have a 9mm, so the following "data" is for just that.

I buy all my ammo at Wal-Mart. They have the best prices for target ammo that I've found. WWB 115gr FMJ 100rnds @ $11.34 (11.3¢ per rnd). They also have CCI Blazer Brass 115gr target ammo, and Remington UMC 115gr target ammo.

I've only gotten 1 brand of SD ammo so far, also from Wal-Mart. Mine carries Winchester 147gr JHP. 50 rnds for $10.97 (21.9¢ per rnd).

I have looked into the online stores, but after shipping charges, or just their prices, they still can't beat "Wally-World."

+1 on the links from ScaryWoody. LOL: nice name....

I also keep my eye on http://www.ammoinc.com/page%202.htm for when they get that NATO spec 9mm ammo in the waterproof battle pack back in stock! He might have something you need, too.

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build
Old September 19, 2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Welcome churchillburke.

I would like to add

midwestusa.com

to the above list. They have specials from time to time and if you play with their shipping calculator, you can often maximize your shipping to the point of being reasonable. This works (works good for me) well when purchasing non-ammo items at the same time IMO.

Another place that I find a good buy frequently is Gander Mountain. If you live near one, you may find the 250 rd. economy packs or UMC ammo for about 10 bucks off regular price. I see this special about everyother month or so. Add in sales tax and it is maybe better than Wally's price but not sure.

I also find that the empty brass has some value if you plan to reload someday. This is why I avoid the cheep steel case ammo and some of the bulk reloads. I try to buy ammo with good brass if the price allows.

Hang out in here awhile and you will learn plenty! Our members are good people and they will help if you ask.
Old September 19, 2005, 03:38 PM   #5
leadcounsel

www.ammoman.com with competitive prices and free shipping.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
two-ticks-left

I have been having a lot of luck with East Coast Gun Sales. Their stock fluctuates...who knows why...but when they have it (and they often do), you get it cheap and quickly.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
revolverrandy

I can always find ammo cheaper in nearby stores than I can anyplace online.
I get blazer 38 x special box 50 for $10 near me
i get pmc 9mm box of 50 for $12 same place
Old March 11, 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
FairWarning

Join sportsmansguide's Savings Club or whatever they call it to save 5% ammo/10% other and then get the S.G. credit for an additional 2% off anything. Their prices are quite low to begin with, and they are very well stocked and responsive.

And of course remember to pay off the credit card in full every month!

I try to support my local independently owned gun stores for certain things, but S.G. blows 'em all away when it comes to surplus ammo!
Old March 11, 2010, 05:35 PM   #9
shepherddogs

Man, those prices seem high. Like 100 round WWB at Natchez for $44 a box. That just seems outrageous to me. I haven't bought any in a while but the last time I bought 100 rds of WWB was at Walmart for like $21. Boy I'm glad I reload.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:50 PM   #10
carguychris

Samco Global Arms has big cases of Pakistani surplus 9mm right now.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/

However, based on the less-than-stellar reputation of POF ammo in general, I wouldn't choose this over $21 Wally World 100rd WWB value packs if I can find them. The POF ammo is Berdan primed and therefore not readily reloadable.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Metal god

I get ammo from here Target sports usa . free shipping on all bulk ammo . just got 1000 rounds of Fiocchi 9mm 115 gram fmj for $225 out the door to my door no tax no shipping charges . They have tons of ammo but the cheaper stuff is sold out alot . you can back order from them . they have a lot of other shooting supplies as well . check them out .
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/
Old May 2, 2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Martowski

Check out aimsurplus.com. I have ordered many things from them in the past (firearms, ammo, etc.). Always great service.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:25 AM   #13
dajowi

Whenever I'm in the mood to purchase new brass I go to Walmart and buy their WWB 9mm. For $10 to $11 a box I get loaded ammo and reuse the brass. Our local farm store has American Eagle 9mm 124 gr FMJ for $11.99 per box of 50. You can't buy that anywhere - even Walmart for that price.

As far as bulk ammo I've purchased this stuff for my Ruger revolvers only because they're tough guns. I wouldn't shoot any reloaded bulk stuff in any of my autos. They only reloads I shoot are the ones I make myself and that costs me $4-$6 a box depending on bullet configuration used.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Young.Gun.612

Holy ancient thread, Batman!