The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
4T4MAG

22-250 Winchester Brass Primer Pocket

I bought a new bag of 22-250 Rem Winchester brass. I did all the case prep, sizing. There were many of them that were too long, so I trimmed them. Cleaned them all. I am using Federal Premium large rifle match primers, GM210M. Upon priming roughly 30 rounds, not a single primer seem to fit the primer pocket as it should. They were all raised to the touch, they were not flush. So, is it the primer or the brass. I have been using Federal Match LR for years, so I started off being prejudice. I measured 15 primers for pocket depth and width. The depth varied from .119 - .124. The width also varied from .195 - .205. I also measured Hornady once fired brass, the primer pocket was the exact same for all 20 rounds. I measured 30 primers they were all the same.

So, is this a bad batch of Winchester brass or, is the par for the course?
I tried to return the brass to the large sporting goods chain store, as you can imagine, they wanted noting to do with it.
Old March 16, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
mrawesome22

What method are you using to prime?

New brass will have a nice tight pocket.

Probably just need to put more muscle into it.
Old March 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
4T4MAG

I am using an RCBS hand primer. I have been reloading for years, I have never run in to this problem. Maybe my grip is getting weak. Is it at all ok if the primer is raised above the breach face of the shell?
Old March 16, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
mrawesome22

On the opposite end of the jaw side of your calipers is a depth gauge.

I'd measure the pocket depth on a few, then measure how thick the primers are.

High primers are not good. If not seated to the correct depth, they will be hard to set off since the anvil won't be pushed into the priming compound.

My rcbs hand prime, I just squeeze until the travel stop on the thin arm touches the main body. In other words, as far as the handle will go.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
William T. Watts

Sounds like the primer pockets should have been prepped. I use a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer that can be used either as a hand tool or remove the cutter from the handle chuck it up in a drill motor that will cut the primer pocket to a uniform depth. The primer pocket is cut deep enough to allow seating a primer a couple of thousands below flush. I use this tool for all brass, it's a one time operation then forget about it. What you have encountered/described isn't all that unusual.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; March 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
jepp2

I primed a bag of new Winchester 22-250 brass with Remington 9 1/2 primers a couple of years ago. I was using an RCBS auto bench priming tool. They are the hardest primers I ever seated. I was using an RCBS shell holder and it actually deformed the shell holder.

If I had it to do over, I would have swaged them first. I uniform all my primer pockets now. If you have never uniformed any before this really shows just how inconsistent the depth and bottom corner is. I have primed a lot of new brass, but never encountered anything like the Winchester 22-250 brass.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
jdillon

+1 on uniforming all primer pockets and is SOP on all new brass. While you at it might as well debur the flash holes as well. This is particularly the case when using Winchester, Remington and Federal Brass.
Old April 5, 2012, 10:31 PM   #8
4T4MAG

22-250 Primer seating depth

Ok, so I just received a box of new Lapua 22-250 brass. I had a few high primers, I am going to get a new priming tool. Any recommendations besides RCBS handhelds.

Last edited by 4T4MAG; April 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old April 7, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
jdillon

Personally, I use the Sinclair priming tool and very pleased with it although a bit pricey. While you are at it buy a primer pocket uniforming tool. I uniform the primer pockets on all new brass.
Old April 7, 2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Mobuck

Best to use CCI or Winchester primers in Winchester brass.