The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Bike Effects

Changing primers?

I have mostly used CCI primers for most of my reloading life. Now there are shortages. What has been your experience on the effect of changing primer brands when you have worked up loads?

What is your general experience with popular brands of primers? Any Stand-outs or Dogs?
Old March 24, 2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I think we are going to be forced to use "other stuff" if we're not sitting on a year or twos supply of our favorites...

just some generalizations I've either seen or heard... I like CCI primers... it is often said that they have harder cups so in guns with weaker firing pin springs, they may not relyably ignite, but are also often used for high pressure loads because of the harder cup... my next two favorites are either Remington or Federal both have noticably softer cups, but I've had good luck building accurate loads with each...

"building loads"is the key words here, as in reality, you could probably "use" any brand, even magnum or regular, or benchrest primers if your powder selection & load are adjusted... some burn hotter, some burn faster, some burn with different patterns, that can greatly effect pressures & might work better with stick powders, some work better with ball powders...

personally I'd look for any available loads you can find using your prefered powder, & see if you can find a reciepe that calls for the primer that you have or can find that day... otherwise if you ae not finding anything, you might be better off switching powder to a reciepe that uses the brand of powder thats matched a listed primer in a published load...

... I haven't really heard too much negitive about Wolf brand primers, but I also don't have any expirience with them... as always when changing a component, look at a good load book, & reduce starting loads by 10% if thats what the book tells you, & watch for loads or cartridges that say that reduced loads are not advised... if that is published, those are more likely to had bad consiquence from substatuting primrs...
Old March 24, 2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Sam06

When I change Primers I basically start all over if I am looking for Real accuracy. Changing from CCI to Federal Primers moved my POI almost 1.5" up and a little right in my 6mmBR. Then when I went to RWS primers it came down .75 inch from where the Feds were at. The Veloicty changes but not that much. One thing some BR shooters have found is that some primers work better with certain powders. I read where a guy, I think shooting a 6.5x284 cut 1/2 MOA off of his 300yd load by changing primers to match the powder he was using. I will look around and see if I can find the article...................Sam

PS, I like CCI primer also but Rem SRM is what I use in the 6mmBR. I thought I would never run out of primers but this Obama buying frenzy has me looking around. Especially for LP primers. I have about 2 years worth on hand because I am lazy and I don't like to buy them all the time. When I go to get primers I get a LOT of them.
Old March 24, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4
James R. Burke

I also use the CCI primers for all my reloading. Never had a problem so never changed. If you change primers I would start all over and work it up. I got lucky the other day, and found 2000 CCI larg rifle. Thought I would try this really small ma and pa shop, and they had them. They dont have any now. But I figure that should do me till they come back. I use the aps strips, so I am lucky I saved the old ones I used. Try the smaller shops you might get lucky. I am sure the supplys will come back, and the only reason I am buying more stuff is that it will no doubt double in price. Good luck, and keep it safe!
Old March 24, 2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Shoney

The thicker cup of CCI is beneficial when loading for weapons that are prone to slam fire; AR, SKS, AK's, Macarov.

Primers do make a difference in accuracy in some weapons/cartridges and are of negligible value in others. You just have to test.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111