The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Silvanus

unburned powder residue

Today I shot my first 100 self-loaded .38 special rounds. They worked pretty good in my S&W 66, but in the empty cases I can clearly see unburned powder. It's not that much, but it is enough to make me think that I need to change something.

I'm new to reloading and don't know what exactly I need to change. I use .38 special cases, Winchester small pistol primers, 158 grs TMJ FP bullets over 4 grs of Accurate N.2 powder.

Should I use a little less or more powder or how can I improve that load? I'm sure you guys can help a newby reloader out
Old April 20, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

thoughts

Rainier bullets? Crimp die? OAL?

Case brand? Primer brand?

Accurate #2? Or #2 Improved?

Might try 4.2g and 4.4g; might try varying crimp, both a bit more and a bit less.

But let the shooting be your final determinant: Does the ammo meet your goals?
Old April 20, 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Silvanus

Ok, I see there's a lot to learn yet. I do think the ammo meets my goals. I only just started shooting DA revolvers, so I can't tell for sure what's the ammo, the gun or myself when I shoot not so well sometimes. But today my shooting was good, so I guess the ammo is OK.

I'll try experimenting with the crimp die and powder charge a little anyway, I'd prefer to have a nice and clean burning load.

I don't want to start a new thread, so while I'm at it, can I use the same powder charge for .38 ammo if I use .357 cases? I have tons of them left but I don't plan to load many .357 magnum rounds.
Old April 20, 2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Hawg

Unburned powder in the cases could be from lube contamination. If it's not but just a few particles I personally wouldn't worry about it.