The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Left-Hander

New barrel for old m37.

Dose anyone know if and where I might be able to find a new barrel for my old model 37? My serial number is below the required 855,000 for the new style threaded barrels. Or should I go with a poly-choke, or just have screw-in chokes installed by my local smith? Thanks for the help.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Hotbarrel

Ithaca says only they can properly fit a new barrel to your old receiver. Unfortunately, they've stopped doing business until they finish "reorganizing" after changing ownership. You may want to wait until they start shipping on a regular basis before contacting them.
OTOH, you could send it to a reputable vendor to have the barrel threaded for chokes (my suggestion). I've never had it done, but you'll want to ask around a lot before committing to one.
Old June 11, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Mannlicher

I would have a gunsmith thread the barrel for variable choke tubes. As long as it's a shooter, and not a collector's dream, thats the best way to make it an all around shotgun.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 12, 2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Ruger4570

I too would agree that having choke tubes may be the best way to go.. If you are waiting for Ithaca to "reorganize" from the looks of it,, it may never happen. I hope it is not true but it sure looks like "belly up" time for them to me and a bunch of others. I sure hope not though.
Old June 12, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
GunsnRovers

ebay

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.