The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2015, 10:23 AM   #1
SCHunter90

Need Advice on Building a .308 Semi Auto Rifle

Hello,

I am in the research faze of building a .308 semi-auto rifle. I am leaning toward an AR-15 style. If you think there is a better platform what is it and why?

I do not want to buy pre-assembled parts like a receivers, etc. I plan on buying a stripped receiver and selecting every single part. For the receiver I don't want to go cheap so if money is not a factor which receiver, trigger, and other parts would you select to completely build the upper and lower receiver?

I want to make this rifle as accurate as possible (I know Semi-auto's don't compare to bolt action). What ways would you recommend make a long range rifle? Weight is not a factor. Also what is the longest barrel out their without having to get a custom barrel made?
Old March 19, 2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Jay24bal

My biggest pieces of advice for you when building a long range rifle after building several AR variants is as follows:

1. Do not skimp on the barrel, buy the best you can afford that fits your intended purpose.

2. Do not skimp on the trigger. Standard AR triggers are not designed for precision shooting, pony up the extra money for a high end trigger.

3. Pretty much everything else (except optic) does not have much of an impact on the accuracy of the gun. As long as you are buying "mil-spec"/standardized parts from a reputable company, they will all work fine. No need to buy a high end receiver, charging handle, buffer tube, BCG, etc. Just make sure the barrel is free floating when you select the fore end.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old March 19, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3
R.Ph. 380

For a stripped lower, I don't think you can miss with this one"

http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-...E-308LRFGS.htm

In fact I built my whole AR10 around this. My upper is pure DPMS LR with a 20" Stainless barrel. Search for the best 2 stage trigger group and don't skimp on a Bolt Carrier Group. My build ran almost 1600.00 but it's worth it. Accurate out to 600 yards and capable of center shots farther than that. Especially with the swaged 168 grn bullets I make.

Bill

The Bill Of Rights: Void Where Progressives Roam
Old March 19, 2015, 04:05 PM   #4
SCHunter90

Is there a barrel that gets too long? Who makes the best barrel around 26-30" ?
Old March 19, 2015, 04:44 PM   #5
WW2

Read This

This post will help you stay on track building an AR in .308 Winchester (7.62 Nato) http://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comment...valent_basics/

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old March 20, 2015, 12:56 AM   #6
dakota.potts

A longer barrel is actually considered less accurate at a certain point because it will naturally whip more. Sweet spot for the AR platform is typically considered around 20-24" IIRC. Longer barrels gain more velocity which means less drop at distance but not necessarily more accuracy.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Taco-XL

Quote:
A longer barrel is actually considered less accurate at a certain point because it will naturally whip more.
Spot on. I went with a 20" on mine and as far as accuracy of a semi-auto not being good, the pic below is with factory ammo with 168g SMK.

Build you rifle around the barrel and trigger. Everything else wont make too much difference in accuracy, aside from maybe a good compensator (running a JP Bennie Cooley..luv it). Match grade heavy or bull barrel, non chrome lined, 20-24"=cant lose. Good, clean, light trigger (single or 2 stage, your preference) makes all the difference. I like my Geissele SSA-E, but i dont think youd have to spend that much to get a good one.

P.S. I went with DPMS compatible everything.

Tags
308 , build , custom , help with build , semi