The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 4, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
gus3836

1911 sights

I just bought a 70 series Colt and I want to have Target sights installed for CMP service pistol matches. What does anyone suggest and what else do I need to do. Been so busy that I have not shot it yet so I do know how it shoots yet. Thanks Gus
Old October 4, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Not my game but until a reliable source comes along...

You seldom see anything on a Service Pistol except a Bomar mounted in the GI dovetail, not buried like an IPSC gun. Front sight a tall square blade, often undercut. Bomar is long gone but there are several copies.

If you are serious about it, you will want to get in touch with a real bullseye gunsmith who will fit the sights and accurize the gun without adding expensive tackytickle modifications like gunzine centerfolds.

Service pistol has limits on modifications, see at:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBoo...ol/pst-w03.pdf

I am pretty sure the minimum trigger pull is either 4 or 4.5 lbs, I don't know why it is not mentioned in those rules.
Old October 4, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Casimer

Here's the complete CMP rulebook - the allowable modifications are shown in a table on pg. 35 - http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

The minimum trigger weight is 4lbs.

Here's a common set of modifications for a stock 1911 that's to be used as a ball gun.
  • adjustable bomar-style rear sight. Champion sights are popular.
  • front strap stippling or checkering - be sure that you read the rules about this.
  • fitted match barrel
  • fitted match bushing
  • fitted slide stop
  • slide to frame fitting
  • trigger job

But these entail an extensive rebuilding of the pistol. A lot of people get started with a stock pistol and some basic work. Your best bet is probably to contact a BE smith and get some advice.

You might try posting to the Bullseye-L mailing list - http://lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/

These sorts of questions come-up all the time and there are gunsmiths on the list who'll probably be able to help you out.
Old October 10, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

.45 Trigger is 4 lbs for Service Pistol matches, which is what the CMP conducts. They are what are referred to as hardball matches by bullseye shooters. For three gun bullseye matches, your .45 wad gun may have a 3.5 lb trigger. Check the NRA rules Mr. Watson linked to.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle