The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2009, 06:47 AM   #1
TMA-1

Worth it to reload 9mm Luger?

About 20 years ago, I reloaded .38 special and saved between 5-10 cents per round. Got rid of the equipment years ago.

I'm now shooting 9mm Luger for target practice and IPSC (Production class) and I'm thinking of hopping back on the reloading wagon. However, I'm not sure the payback is really there anymore.

I can usually score about 100 rounds a week from local retailers and pay between 20 - 23 cents per round (around $10 or $11 per box of 50). This is for full metal jacketed 115gr roundnose, which is my preferred bullet.

After researching costs of primers, powder, and bullets, it seems like the per-round cost is still around 17 - 18 cents, mainly because of bullet costs.

Is it really worth the time and effort to reload 9mm given the small benefits? Maybe the component costs are temporarily higher because of the overall ammo shortage, or perhaps I'm just getting a good deal on my factory ammo.

Any 9mm reloaders out there care to comment?
Old May 30, 2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Nate1778

Using Berrys bullets at $.072 per, sounds like you have brass, ~.036 per primer and maybe a couple pennies of powder at most. I would guess you could get it close to .11 per round, depends on how much you shoot. Cast your own bullets and you can get it way down there. You can also buy cast bullets and save a little as well.

The other advantage as well is having ammo, as you know it is getting pretty scarce.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Swiss7.5

Lead projectile .062 porder .012 primer .032 =.106
Having 1200 rounds i like at my house = priceless
Old May 30, 2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

As always, this is a matter of your personal situation

Me, I'd rather be shooting than handloading. I enjoy load development, usually for rifles. There is some personal challenge and definite satisfaction when I can put together a load for a particular rifle that is accurate and dependable, and is also very economical compared to a similar factory load. My pistol loading is merely to duplicate factory ammo at a savings.

Elder Son and I LIKE to shoot, rifles and pistols both. Many hunters are completely satisfied when their rifle is sighted in just so, with a load that meets their needs. Then they simply verify zero and take maybe one or two game shots per year, season after season. Good for them. They may go three years without firing 20 rounds, and handloading is hardly economical that that type shooter. Me, I like to practice shooting from field positions, and from different ranges, and this can end up using a lot of expensive factory ammo. Handloading makes a lot of sense for me.

As a serious pistol shooter, I feel that I need a certain amount of practice to maintain decent proficiency. I need a combination of speed, accuracy, and safety, and I really enjoy shooting in the occasional practical-style match. This requires a goodly amount of ammo.

There was a time when I could buy 9x19mm ammo for about $8.00 per hundred. This was cheap enough so that I could keep current with my Hi-Power and my bride could practice with her Kel Tec without my having to change over my progressive press to load small primer cartridges. I'd go for several months loading only .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .44 Special.

The current situation, though, is different. My wife has discovered that she REALLY likes to shoot plate matches with the Hi-Power. Prices are WAY up, and it is frequently difficult to locate even 100 rounds of 9x19 mm ammo on dealers' shelves. It is really worthwhile for me to search around and make an occasional bulk purchase of 9mm bullets. I don't use very hot loads in 9mm or Super .38, and do quite well with plated Berry's or Ranier plated or Montana Gold 124 gr. bullets. If you prefer the 115 gr weight, you can buy even more reasonably.

I also bought another progressive press, dedicated to small primer cartridges. So long as I can locate primers for anything like a reasonable price, we can shoot 9x19 affordably. The bigger-bore loads pretty much require handloading for me to participate in matches.

Knowing what little I DO know about the ammo business and merchandising, I doubt that supply will catch up to demand within the next year. A more realistic question might deal with, "Will the current, artificially elevated ammo demand level off anytime soon?" It seems that the occasional shooter, who used to keep a box or two -- sometimes only ONE partial box -- of pistol ammo on hand, now thinks he needs several boxes or a case stockpiled. At today's prices, this is a lot of money tied up in ammo, and I look for THAT trend to wind down pretty soon. Most of those individuals will just stop buying. Some of the ones who bought 500 or 1000 rounds of, say, .380 ACP, may even begin trading off some of it.

I believe those of us who are dedicated to shooting as a hobby will manage to continue doing so, if at a somewhat reduced level. The ones with a more casual attitude toward the sport will probably stop buying ammo just because it's on the shelf. Realistically, I forsee it taking a year or so for things to return to something like "normal." IF I'm correct on this point, I believe you'll do well to ease back into handloading 9x19 mm.

Best of luck to you.
Johnny
Old May 30, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
freakshow10mm

Using Berry's 115gr bullets and range brass (free since I just pick it up) I am loading 9mm for $95/K rounds or $4.75/50rd box. My H&K P7 is happy, so is my wallet.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Sevens

I don't get the opportunity to do as much shooting as I'd like, so I can provide for my ammo needs without having to chain myself to the loading bench. The time I spend handloading is time I enjoy a whole helluva lot, it's a hobby that I'm wrapped up in.

So if the cost of rolling my own 9mm was exactly the same as the cost of buying factory 9mm, I'd still be rolling my own 9mm.

Part of the thing I love about reloading is that ammo is something that I put together as I see fit. I don't have to detour to the gun shop on the way to the range, I don't have to hold ammo in reserve because of it's cost or availability, and I don't have to hit Wal-Mart on the way home to replace all the ammo I just shot up. I simply shoot what I feel like shooting when the opportunity presents itself, and I replenish the ammo chest in small doses during the week or on the weekends by reloading.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:15 AM   #7
dreamer56

- initially I did not find there to be a cost savings in materials or my time to reload 9mm - but once the prices soared and I could not find ammo locally I added this to my reloading schedule - in fact it gives me more choices - can shoot lead or jacketed - can shoot hot or mild - adjust for accuracy to each firearm.

Started 9mm on my Dillon 550 - but I just picked up a used Dillon Square Deal in 9mm last month to have a dedicated press just for 9mm - I haven't shot factory ammo in about 6 months.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:20 AM   #8
freakshow10mm

Right on Sevens. Handloading is a place to escape the world.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Steviewonder1

9MM Reloading

Dreamer 56 that Dillon Press is very nice, I have two of them. If it has two springs to return the powder bar back to ready to charge, you may want to go to Dillonprecision.com and download the latest manual for the press. Some changes have been made over the years and there are a couple of places to lube on the powder assembly that did not show in the old manual. I reload 9MM and my cost is right at .10 per reloaded bullet. I have lots of FMJ from years gone by that was very cheap when I bought it.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:57 AM   #10
IamLegend

another thing is availabilty of ammo. Right now 9mm very hard to find in my area and is down right expensive. When I do see 9mm I have seen 50 round boxes of 115 gr hard ball selling for $23 easy.

So if your a reloader who had stocked up on small pistol primers that may be they way to go for now.

If it was a year ago I would say buy the ammo unless your like me and like to reload.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Russ5924

I bought all the dies and stuff to reload 9MM about three years ago. But at that time I found could buy them almost as cheap. But now with the prices the way they are I'm glad I had the stuff on hand. I set up my Dillon 550 to run 9MM for now but still trying to find a load I like and the guns like I think right now it would be tough to get into reloading all the components have been very had to get. It took me three months to find a set of .44MAG dies and 4 months to find cases. Just didn't want to backorder everything and have it trickle in over months.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:14 PM   #12
mavracer

I bought a case of WW 115 JHP bullets 10+ years ago just about out of them.they cost ~$145 for 3660.reload, buy in bulk,then someday you might say something like."$11 per 50 for fmj heck I loaded 100 rounds of JHP last night for less than that."
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 30, 2009, 03:25 PM   #13
tiberius10721

It starting to look very practical to reload 9mm just because of the fact that there doesnt seem to be an end to the ammo shortage!with the political climate the way it is im just shooting my black powder guns and saving my modern day ammunition.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:12 PM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
...After researching costs of primers, powder, and bullets, it seems like the per-round cost is still around 17 - 18 cents, mainly because of bullet costs...
Repeat the magic words very slowly after me: "home cast lead bullets".
I started hand loading and casting my own bullets in 1964 because I could not afford to buy cartridges. At the time there was a lot of "cheap" WWII 9mm around...but I still could not afford to shoot as much as I wanted. It makes more sense now then it did then to get into casting.
Old May 30, 2009, 06:03 PM   #15
freakshow10mm

Yup, casting is the way to go. WW by me go for 15 cents a pound. One thousand 115gr 9mm boolits cost me only $2.46 to cast. That's for a thousand bullets. Time you say? 2 hours to cast and size/lube, max. Berry's 115gr plated run $65 or so shipped. For that much you can cast 26,000 bullets.
Old May 30, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
TMA-1

Thanks to all for the overwhelmingly positive responses! Sounds like reloading is still the way to go, although as a couple of you suggested, I'll ease back into it while the market stabilizes. (It will stabilize, right?)

At the very least, I have learned that bullet prices at the local retailers are a tad too high!

Now I just need to decide whether or not to go Lee or Dillon.... (ducking the oncoming flame war).

Thanks again, folks.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:12 PM   #17
El Paso Joe

Thoreau went to the woods to "live deliberately." He only did it for a year and then talked about it forever. I reload to "shoot deliberately." I would do it even if I did not save cost. It is the right thing to do...

Soapbox. (ya think???)
Old May 30, 2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Sixer

I had the brass and the powder... primers cost approx. $28 / K and I ordered 1k 115gr fmj bullets from Precision Delta for $68. If you have the time, the answer is a big YES! Your savings may not be as much as most other calibers, but it will save you $$$ nonetheless

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.