The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

No Deer This Year...Help NJ Rookie!

In 2006 a good friend and I decided we would try to learn how to hunt deer together. As a former marine I know a bit about hunting people but deer, no. So, off we went to get started.

I read every single book and magazine I could find and talked to ALL the hunters I could. I bought Remington 870 Express Synthetic 12 gauge Magnum slug gun with the iron sights and zeroed it to 100 yards. Tested a variety of slugs. Read more, watched some buck hunter type videos, bought a Cabela's ladder stand, some boots and some camo, etc. Studied for and took the shotgun portion of the NJ Fish and Wildlife hunter safety course, got my digest, bought my tags.

Froze my kiester off in the stand for Six Day Firearm and then another eleven days of Permit Shotgun. No deer. 2007 we tried baiting, a ground blind, more reading. No deer. My partner didn't bait his property much. then, he ate an orange in the blind.....we see plenty of deer here out of season.....

This year, my wife has a new job that is blessedly closer to home (19 miles round trip per day vs. 128!) but it pays much less and we're doing work on our house so, no money for deer season this year. I'm almost relieved in a way. I couldn't take it! I'll have to wait and see for next year but I'm still not sure I can do it without an Expert Teacher.

Any central NJ hunters that might want to train a noob?

Last edited by Sgt.Fathead; September 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 27, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
rantingredneck

PM Sent. I ain't in NJ but I'll help remotely where I can.
Old September 28, 2008, 12:48 AM   #3
TCman

The most important thing is to play the wind. I wash my hunting clothes in the no scent detergent and pick a stand depending on the wind that day.
Old September 28, 2008, 03:47 AM   #4
lon371

How big is the property? What is he growing on it or is it woods? What is he seeing during the off season? Are you baiting it in the off season as well?

Brother I have been in your shoes. Froze my butt off several times with minimal reward. But dont give it up. I understand the finance side of it and temporarely taking a break. A fellar always needs a retreat. Whether in the woods or on the golf course(blahhh) I am lucky to have one of my hunting areas 300 yards out my back door.

Good luck

Lonny

Check your PMs
Old September 29, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5
mikenbarb

We have the strongest deer heard in years this year in N.J.. Im not sure where your hunting but were loaded with them in Sussex county. Im assuming your hunting by the shore and if so, Just find a nice piece of private land with owners permission and go do some scouting. Im in zone 2 where the bag limit is a deer a day and you can take two if you have a bonus tag. Do lots of scouting because their out there. I have feeders setup on my farm and it holds them here year round plus the food plots are a great help.
Its not about reading books or what you buy, Its all about how much pre-season scouting you want to do and that will mostly determine your success in this state. In your area theirs alot of hunters like anywhere in this state and you gotta head to the thickest nastiest swamp in your area because thats where the deer will be after the shooting starts. Just find a good deer run where it funnels into a swamp and stay put all day and you should make out fine if you did your homework well before the season opens. Look for deer sign where your hunting and if their isnt any, find a new place to hunt. You want to look for scrapes, runs, rubs, crap, tracks, bedding areas, etc, etc(And look for deer LOL). And DONT WEAR CAMO when your hunting in this state! Theirs way to many ya hoos out there looking for something brown to shoot at. Plus we have a 200sq.in. minimum orange requirement for gun hunting.
And you dont need money to hunt, Just brown bag it and take a few slugs that you have left. A license is cheap and you dont need much to kill a deer.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. If you want to head up north about 1-1/2 hours, Shoot me a pm and we can set something up.
Old September 29, 2008, 05:24 PM   #6
rem870hunter

you remember where i'm at? long drive though. i've got winslow and a few sections of area 25 nearby. or if i could get up your way and try a few of the parts that have shotgun and muzzleloader for deer in feb. would love to have company when i'm out. dad hasn't gone in a few years either he is busy or his back/shoulder are bothering him. i go whenever i can get out.
Old September 29, 2008, 06:18 PM   #7
mikenbarb

If you guys are ever up north in Cow country, Let me know and I will show ya around a few great spots.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Gbro

Whoooo There Sarge,
The hunt isn't suppose to be measured by the filling of the tags. I have not tagged anything for 10 years and have had a wonderful time hunting.

I do have a son-in-law who fills tags like a water glass.
But he has to process all that meat

I do enjoy having dinner at their house. There is no question about what I would like for dinner

Then I have my fair share of racks on the wall. One is on their wall as he doesn't have the patience to wait for a nice wall hanger. He kills everything that comes his way

Patience Sarge, Take the Good Book with and you will miss nothing!
Old September 30, 2008, 12:44 AM   #9
jhgreasemonkey

Don't let it get you down. I and many hunters have been skunked more times than not. Especially if you are hunting public land. Remember to enjoy the great outdoors. I really enjoy "spot and stalk" rather than tree stand hunting as you get to explore the woods and hike around a bit more. I go stir crasy sitting there in one place all day.
Old September 30, 2008, 08:58 PM   #10
simonkenton

Deer hunting can be pretty easy, an 8 pointer on opening day at 40 yards broadside.
Or, it can be frustrating, as yours has been.

The best single thing you can do is to get very good with your gun.
Can you hit a softball five times in a row at 100 yards? You should be able to, if you are going to be a successful hunter. I highly recommend the use of a scope.
Also if rifles are legal, get a rifle, they are more accurate than shotguns.

You can do things to improve the deer hunting. If you are hunting on a WMA, not much you can do.
If you are hunting on private land, go out in the spring and plant an acre of clover, such as sold by the Whitetail Institute.
Also, make a mineral lick.

Here is a good recipe.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Prices have gone up since this was first posted, will now cost about $43 for a 2 year supply.

A plot of clover and a mineral lick will draw deer to your area. It will make the deer healthier. It will increase the survival rate of fawns.
So, it will take a year or two, but you will be growing a crop of deer.

If you are hunting on public lands, spend the money to join a private club.
Better hunting on a good private club than a WMA.
Old October 1, 2008, 11:11 PM   #11
Sgt.Fathead

Many thanks to all for the replies! Had a co-worker drop dead Monday of congestive heart failure, 46 y/o and a heavy smoker, and have been eyeballs deep getting everything squared away! Will be back soon!
Old October 2, 2008, 06:37 AM   #12
bigwilly

He's in Jersey so only Bow or Shotgun, no Rifle.