The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2001, 07:00 PM   #1
scouter27

Bolt action bullpup?

I posted this in the rifle forum. Spectre suggested i post it here, to see if anyone made them.

Are ther any, in a calibre less than .50 BMG and less expensive than the DSR-1? I would like to get one in .308 win if possible, but I don't want to spend >$7000. Thanks

Last edited by scouter27; August 3, 2001 at 07:34 PM.
Old August 3, 2001, 10:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Stocks are (or at least were) available and any reasonably competent gunsmith should be able to make one up. The only other thing needed is the trigger linkage. They are a very compact design, but a bolt action bullpup is about impossible to work without taking it down from the shoulder.

But I think the main problem with them has always been that shooters get nervous having the face right down on the receiver. If anything does go wrong, that may not be a good place to have vital pieces of the ol' bod.

Jim
Old August 3, 2001, 11:23 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

One thought I've had, is to make a "blast shield" on the left side of the receiver, under the wood. If there is some form of detonation, the blast would be channeled away from the shooter.

George, is this something you would take a crack at?
Old August 4, 2001, 06:32 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Spectre, yes I would. I haven't built a bolt action rifle in this configuration but I did make up an auto shotgun for a local guy. As Jim said the only tricky part is the trigger linkage. It wouldn't cost $7000 but it wouldn't be cheap either.

Scouter your welcome to e-mail me and we can talk it over. George
Old August 4, 2001, 06:45 AM   #5
BMWGS80

Bolt gun bullpups were mildly popular in the 50's/60's. Guns & Ammo had a couple of articles on them. Wish I could get in storage to find them. The main problen is the trigger pull. It is hard to get a good trigger pull with such a long linkage.
Recently I have seen somewhere a picture of an inline Muzzel Loader that is a bullpup.

Good luck,

ts
Old August 4, 2001, 09:23 AM   #6
scouter27

Thanks, everyone. I won't have the money for it until maybe a year. I'll be joining the Army soon. Use bonus money.
Old August 4, 2001, 02:14 PM   #7
griz

Maybe I'm missing something here. Since it's a bolt action, it seems like the bolt would be back behind your ear when firing. How do you operate it?
Old August 4, 2001, 05:50 PM   #8
scouter27

I have an old (pre-1964)winchester, if I can get the scope mount base off, then rebarrel it to 308, that I would like to do it with. But if it will mess the triger up a lot, I might not.
George, I am sending you an e mail.
I don't think it'll be too hard to operate. It may just take some practise.