The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 10, 2000, 09:21 AM   #1
dragontooth73

I already know S&W is under a moratorium, and I've heard other companies mentioned as anti, by various people ... is there a TFL approved list of companies we should give patronage to? Or better yet, is there a list of BANNED companies that no self-respecting human being should have anything to do with whatsoever?
Old November 10, 2000, 11:10 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

No - no TFL lists...
But start a thread on this in General and we can put a Member Recomendation List.

I'll even start.
The Good:
Sprinfield.
Browning.
Triton.
Cor-Bon.

Take it away Dragon!
Old November 11, 2000, 05:24 PM   #3
dragontooth73

Aye aye sir ...
Old November 11, 2000, 08:24 PM   #4
dragontooth73

Back ... I posted it in General under:
http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/fo...threadid=40551

And Dennis told me to bring it back here ... lol

To repeat:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dragontooth73:
I've already noticed that S&W is under moratorium by a good number of TFL members ... also read threads every now on then on rude, sucky ranges, really bad ammo, POS guns, anti-RKBA companies, whatnot.

Conversely, I've also seen universal praise for the likes of Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Corbon, and the occasional post on pro-RKBA businesses.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a list of all these? Call it Whitelist/Blacklist or what have you, but it might help people not get burned by bad gunshops, sucky ranges, inferior manufacturers, and seek out good establishments. I for one don't want anything to do with Oprah/Rosie connected places. Throw in a comprehensive list of pro/anti RKBA politicians for each state, then it might serve as a good guide for where to take your votes/hard-earned $$$ to.

Opinions?

Speaking of which - and I might get slapped for this - I wouldn't mind banner ads in this site if it'd help fund and run TFL. They'd have to be firearm/knife related sites of course, but having a very wide variety of them might also introduce new products to people and be something worthwhile. Having a "Word from the Manufacturers" forum wouldn't be so bad, to get information on special offerings/new products. Of course word of mouth from TFL members is very fast already, but I wouldn't mind having a catalog-like forum where I could just scrounge through.

Thoughts?

For those who are behind on the threads or not in touch with the latest because they can't log on, I thought it might be a nice running tally. A blacklist of "Worst Shooting Ranges" might actually help clean things up with just threat value.

Ideas?
[/quote]
Old November 11, 2000, 08:47 PM   #5
RWK

We have had many posts recommending or condemning various manufacturers, their customer service, gunsmiths, ammo companies, holster providers, and so forth. That is great and it is also accessible through the search function.

Banner ads, however, could create the perception that TFL is not a neutral and objective information-source. IMHO, that would be most unfortunate. Naturally, this is Rich's decision, but I respectfully suggest we not compromise things that are working very well.
Old November 11, 2000, 09:09 PM   #6
dragontooth73

You're right ... just throwing it out is all. I was thinking of the eventuality where a lot of the old threads get deleted (which I think should happen someday) and be inaccesible to a search. There's a couple of threads on how anti-RKBA America Online is, for example. In the future, a new member wouldn't be aware of something like this unless they waded through the old threads (if they existed still) or got burned, and it'd be too late. I don't think most people would think of doing a specific search on AOL in any of the forums. But for now it is all ok.

Thank you for the gentle slap

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old November 12, 2000, 05:00 AM   #7
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Ooops.

Sorry, Dragon & George, about the volleyball action on your thread.

I thought it was merely a suggestion rather than an attempt to begin something new.
-----

Maintaining a thread on anti-gunners would be a pretty big job. Some organizations support or fight our cause without any apparent pattern. Others, unfortunately, are consistently anti-rights.

Would it be an alternative to have a running thread of links pointing readers to other sites' lists of our opponents? We could access a lot of info with little space on TFL.

(Again, just brainstorming...)
Old November 12, 2000, 12:10 PM   #8
dragontooth73

That's cool too ... In fact since there's talk of splitting the Handguns forum into 2-3 entities (General(?), Revolver, Semiautomatic) then how about Legal and Political into, say, General, Pro-RKBA action, anti-RKBA? Just a thought ... I think that's what I was after in the end ... my big concern is to not inadvertantly patronize ANY business establishment that is rude to gun owners, or maintains a ludicrous stance on the Constitution. Never mind all the people who don't understand what the Electoral College is about.

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old November 12, 2000, 04:07 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Lets not get carried away Dragon.
Old November 12, 2000, 05:11 PM   #10
dragontooth73

Aye aye sir ... stuck at home sick I just have a lot of time to play with is all