The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Old Dragoon

Pietta '58 Rem.erial Numbers?

I recently purchased a Pietta Rem '58 from an online auction site. It is from Cabela's. How do I figure out the age of this piece. It appears to be unfired with just a slight drag ring on the cylinder. Fit is very good, as is function. Serial # R349XXX.
Any ideas on the manufacture date of this piece. I also have another Pietta '58 Rem. on the way.

This piece looks and functions way better than I remember Pietta guns looking or working several years ago.

I also have a Kirst 44 Rem. conversion cylinder coming for this pistol. I opted for this cal in lieu of 45LC simply because I collect original Conversions and prefer to shoot the same cal. as the originals are, heeled bullets and outside lube and all.Also the fact that I have thousands of 44 Colt brass and 44 Rem Mag Brass that can be modified easily helped point me this way.
Thanks
Old November 1, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Steve499

I don't have any definate answer but I just bought a new Pietta 1858 Rem. replica from Dixie last month. The serial number on it is R337xxx. It is the model with what is supposed to be the "patina" look. There may be less demand for those and they may remain in stock for longer periods, but it is older than yours and I just bought it!

I'm very pleased with it's accuracy. It groups nearly as good as my mod. 14 S&W .38 which was quite a surprise to me. I had to add metal to the front sight and then re-file the tip to change the windage a little to zero it dead on at 20 yards but it sure hits where it's looking now! I did have to replace the hand and spring because the hand spring broke. That sounds bad in such a new pistol but I have cocked it a couple of bazillion times, probably more than it would have been in YEARS of normal shooting. ( Something about that click..click just blows the wind up my skirt!)

Steve
Old November 1, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

You could try emailing Pietta. I believe they have a support group. Their website is in Italian and English,IIRC.

I'm on my 2nd hand spring in my Pietta. It had horrible timing,which I was able to fix just recently. It shoots several inches left at 25yds. I still have to work on that.
Old November 1, 2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Remington kid

I have to go out to my shop and look in my new book and I'll let you know when it was made. Mike Be back soon.Mike
Old November 1, 2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Remington kid

The book I have was written by Johnny Bates and Mike Cumpston and it's titled " Percussion Pistols and Revolvers " . The following is taken from "Apendex A": "Italian Proof Marks by Year of Manufacture from public records and direct observation".
It shows your Remington Revolver (XXX) was built in 1974. The numbers are right on with my sons Remignton and both of mine. Mike
Old November 1, 2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Old Dragoon

Thanks Mike,

Wow! that old? I had no idea that it could be that old.
HMMMM! I wonder if the Kirst Konverter will fit it.
I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Boy there must be a bunch NOS or sold but unfired out there.
Old November 1, 2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, Im sure that's the case with many of the guns sold today. Someone got them but never fired it.
The numbers I have are for the Pietta and any Italian revolvers. It starts out on 1945 with the symbol (1) and then goes on to 1953 and the number or symbol (9) then in 1954 it goes in to roman numerials up to 1974. Then it goes to letters from 1975 to 2005. Anyone who has a reproduction Italian made in 2005 it will show the letters (BZ).
Just make sure you gave me then right numbers... If you look at the gun with the barrel facing to your right there should be letters or a number on the frame right behind the barrel or in that area. Hope this helps.
Maybe after super If Im feeling up to it I'll post all the list as I have it in case anyone else wants to check there's. Mike
Old November 1, 2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Old Dragoon

Well mine has BZ inside a box on the right side of the frame right behind the proofs, just behind the Bbl. The SN is R349xxx (xxx= three other numbers, as in not publishing the whole s/n) on the bottom of the grip frame.
I wonder if the S/N's start over ????
Actually I screwed up, it is a Taylor's and Co instead of Cabela's. I knew that!.... because it has Taylors info in/on the box. BTW the box has almost no shelf wear either.

This pistol is really well made and I saw several years ago (before/after, 1974 when I was heavily into BP and Buckskinning, etc.) that left a lot to be desired in form, fit and function. This one rocks!
Old November 1, 2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Remington kid

The [BZ] in the box is the number you want. That would make it a 2005. It's my understanding that Pietta installed all new machinery about a year ago and that may be one of the reasons you are seeing a better built revolver.
Either way it looks like you got a new one. Mike
Old November 1, 2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Old Dragoon

Thanks Mike!
I knew Pietta built a new factory in 1999-2000 or there abouts. Perhaps it took a bit longer to build. I read elsewhere that Alessandro Pietta told someone at the SHOT show that he intended to produce the best quality he could. I think he is on that track! The other one I bought is also a Taylor's and Co. and it should be here next week, here's hoping it's current production also. I'll keep the board informed about that and how the Kirst Drop in fits. I fully intend to convert the new one too.

As an aside, I can load 40 Gr. FFFG Elephant BP in this one and can compress a .451 ball enough to be just below the cylinder mouth. I slugged the bbl and it is just under.451(.446 actually) as my mic's tell me. Which is as it should be shaving a ring off the .451 ball when loaded.

I haven't shot any of the Elephant BP, but I bought 15 lbs. of it a couple years ago in FFG and a few FFFG in 15 1 lb. cans for ten bucks from a guy that was getting out of BP single shot shooting. I guess I'll find out pretty soon, if it's any good at all.
Thanks for the info again

Last edited by Old Dragoon; November 1, 2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old November 1, 2005, 05:29 PM   #11
Steve499

my serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame, and as I already posted, begins with R. On the right side of the frame between the cylinder and barrel are a couple of stampings which I take as being proofmarks and the letters BU enclosed in a square border. Since I just bought this new,which should mean fairly recent manufacture, I bet the actual sequential serial number isn't preceded by the year of manufacture code.

Old Dragoon, what do you find on the right side of the frame between the barrel and cylinder?

Steve
Old November 1, 2005, 05:35 PM   #12
Steve499

Thanks, Remington Kid, for the info and apologies for the post after the question was answered. (Got a phone call in the middle of my post and finished it later)

Steve
Old November 1, 2005, 05:36 PM   #13
Remington kid

Steve , the serial number has nothing to due with the date it was made. Your gun[BU] was made in 2004. At least that's what this book say's .Like I said, it works out for mine and my son's.
Old November 1, 2005, 05:47 PM   #14
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, A couple of us on here hane been posting alot about the loads we have been shooting and the real powr of these guns.
I have droped several deer with mine and we discussed other things about them too. It's a fun but informative thread if you guy's want to joine in our rantings please do so. Have to warn you that you will find at least three guys who are Remington nuts.
I use 40g. of Goex and a wonder wad on top of that and then I seat a .454 ball on top and it leaves me about 16" for grease. The only reason I use grease is to help keep it running smooth and as a bore cleaner.
Without a wad you could probably get 50g but that's to much for me
Anyway , hope all this helped a little. Im still learning things too and i have been at this for many years now.Mike
Forgot to ad, This is where we are at,Lol.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=182193
Old November 1, 2005, 06:01 PM   #15
Old Dragoon

STEVE499,
I find the BZ in a box,Star in wreath over pn,and some type of shield with antler??, over crossed guns??? can't see it too well without a magnifier glass.
But I can see the BZ in the box. These latter two symbols are the Itialin proofs and maybe Pietta's mark????

Mike I read some of that thread too. and I was going to convert a Walker... this Remington and the new one will do just fine me thinks.
Old November 1, 2005, 06:42 PM   #16
Remington kid

Im happy to hear that Pietta is improving there guns . It seems to mean that we don't have to worry about them going out of business anytime soon.
Hope they don't have to raise there prices to much to stay competitive.
Uberti was always called the best but they needed alott of action work also to really run smooth.
I do agree that the Remington is all you need to have the best. One of these day's I hope Santa brings me a 1851 Navy .36 just to carry around the yard for snakes and such and the pine cones that need to be shot at from time to time as Im mowing Mike
Old November 1, 2005, 08:46 PM   #17
mec

That appendix came from Italian proof records that have been published in various places over time. We got the years bt-bz from direct observation of new guns as they came out

The book is not overly expensive at under $17 for the paperback and ten dollars more for the cloth bound.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059...books&v=glance

Old November 1, 2005, 09:20 PM   #18
Remington kid

It's a great book with down to earth info without all the BS and clutter of senseless points, I hate books like that! This is a book that even "I"can read and understand.
Love the way these guy's wrote this and the way it's layed out, Mike