The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2004, 01:11 PM   #1
sgremmel

Trouble with 9mm and Titegroup

I have recently reloaded some 9mm with Titegroup powder, At the range, the shot pattern was all over the place with several tumbles. One of my friends said it reminded him of carnival ammo.

The reloading specs are as follows:

Bullet: West Coast 124 gr FMJ RN
Case: Winchester
Primer: Federal
Powder: Titegroup 4.2 gr
OAL: 1.125"
Crimp: .372"

I would appreciate any advice from experienced reloaders as to why I am having the problem.
Old November 6, 2004, 07:32 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Recommend increasing OAL to 1.155"+/-.005".

Might be jumping too far from the case mouth.....
Old November 6, 2004, 09:36 AM   #3
eka

Well, it seems you have everything in order as far as the charge weight and everything. I noticed that Hodgdon used an OAL of 1.090 for this grain bullet in their tests. There max charge listed was 4.4 grains. It could be if you seated to 1.090 as Hodgdon lists, you may build pressure inside the case more consistently. I think I would try that first. I assume you have tried the West Coast bullets before and trust them. Titegroup seems like a very interesting powder. I have been meaning to try some, but have'nt yet. Keep us posted.
Old November 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Cal4D4

Have had trouble tumbling WC plateds in 10mm from time to time. Backing off on the taper crimp a little might help. Theory is the bullets might get a little constricted in the process.
Old November 6, 2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Black_Snowman

Are the WC bullets plated or jacketed? If they're plated the jacketed data doesn't nessisarily apply.

I have some Rainier 124 gr plated bullets that I've been loading with AA #7 and they're incredibly accurate up to Rainier's listed max of 6.9 gr. But if use jacketted data that goes up to 7.4 grains velocity doesn't increase and accuracy goes straight out the window.

Plated bullets don't seem to follow either lead or jacketted data but are their own little beast. Now if it's a true FMJ you'll have to look elsewhere for a fix.
Old November 11, 2004, 12:16 AM   #6
8ring

Others have successfully used 4.2gr Titegroup with 124gr. West Coast.

Back off on the crimp. Neck tension, not crimp, holds the bullet on semi-autos. Pull a bullet or two with a inertial bullet puller (the one you use like a hammer) and see if the copper coating is cut, constricted, or distorted. Damage to the copper coating may well cause the keyholing.

I use 115gr. West Coast round nose with .378" crimp at the case mouth and get decent accuracy in my CZ. Better accuracy with 115gr. FMJ.

Good luck,

Chris