The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 7, 2006, 05:25 PM   #26
Heraclid

adeese660, see my comments above re: Southside Gun.

I remember those corny old commercials he did where he tried to take a pag eout of an old Rifleman episode or something... "get it now, get it today, at Southside Guuuuuuuunnnn." I bet he is the person several folks here said they had run-ins with and never went back there. Figured he must be gone now as there are is now only Bullseye (formerly Southside Gun I, I believe).
Old May 7, 2006, 06:14 PM   #27
adeese660

I did a search on Southside Gun and it turned up exactly what you said earlier,the FFL bureau was also involved in it.
I also remember those commercials,your right on that one too,it was from The Rifleman.I do remember he was a little arrogant when you when in his store.I do alot of business with St.Nicholas,Jimmy's Pawn and Gun on Lane Ave.,Shooters,the pawn shop in Middleburg,and now a friend of mine just got his FFL about 1 mo. ago,he owns a pawn shop just north of Knight Boxx Rd. on Blanding Blvd. in Orange Park,he does't have much right now because he hasn't had his FFL long,but he can still order anything you want.It shouldn't be long though before he has a pretty good selection on long guns and hand guns.
Old May 7, 2006, 08:03 PM   #28
Mas Ayoob

Gateway is a great resource. They also have IDPA on the first Saturday of every month. Great bunch of people, very helpful to newcomers and transplants. You'll meet lots of good, like-minded folks there.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:16 PM   #29
Detective

reviving an ooooold post...

I know this is a really old post, but I'm relatively new to Jacksonville and I thought to revive this thread to see if you guys out there still feel the same about Gateway, Bullseye, etc. I checked out Gateway once and it was fun, but I need some shooting buddies. I have an AR-15 that I've been itching to take out and try, but the opportunity has not presented itself... I have been to Bullseye and used their range. I really enjoy it. Their shop is ok; I haven't bought guns from them but have used them for several incoming transfers.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:34 PM   #30
Chaz88

Quote:
I try to stop by Green Acres on my lunch break occasionally.
I was in Jacksonville for about 10 years. Then for resons that only make sence to detailors I was trnasfered to Oklahoma City a year before retierment.

Just from my experience I would take what you hear at Green Acres with a big grain of salt and shop around for better prices before you buy. They were often way over priced.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 31, 2010, 05:44 PM   #31
skydiver3346

Welcome Heraclid:

* I live in Jacksonville and have shot everywhere in the city over the last twenty years or so.* Gateway is the best all around range for all types of rifles, pistols, shotguns. etc.* Its ran pretty well and safe (in my opinion). Best of luck to you and welcome to the "club"...** Rick
Old January 31, 2010, 08:24 PM   #32
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydiver3346 View Post
* I live in Jacksonville and have shot everywhere in the city over the last twenty years or so.* Gateway is the best all around range for all types of rifles, pistols, shotguns. etc.* Its ran pretty well and safe (in my opinion). Best of luck to you and welcome to the "club"...** Rick
Actually, Rick, Heraclid's post dates back to 2006! I thought to revive it as I am new to Jax and I thought it's good to get to know some Jacksonvillians out here... Hope to see you at Gateway one day.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:19 PM   #33
skydiver3346

Hi Detective

Welcome to TFL. I was in Shooters today buying a new gun. Will be going to Gateway tomorrow to test it out. Rick
Old January 31, 2010, 09:39 PM   #34
Detective

Sounds like fun!

Haven't been to Shooters yet. Have driven by it a couple of times, but every time it was during a time before they were open or after they were closed... I'd bet it must be nice at Gateway on a weekday. I am tempted to call in sick one day during the week and then go to Gateway! By the time I'm out of the office, it's dark already which limits my options to indoor ranges only and weekends are, well... only 2 days long! Have fun tomorrow, Rick. Did you buy a rifle or a handgun if you don't mind me asking.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:46 PM   #35
skydiver3346

Shooters:

Bought a Sig 5.56 rifle. Got a nice 30mm Trijicon sscope I am mounting on it as we speak. Only problem with Shooters is it is always too crowded to get good service. Take care
Old February 1, 2010, 12:51 AM   #36
cwb

i live in macclenny but i shoot in jacksonville at times,went to shooters today and bought my wife a sig 238 with the rainbow finish,she should be very happy

also when you are at shooter ask for ms or eddy and tell them casey sent you and they will treat you good,i am very well know there, its the only place i buy my guns from
Old February 15, 2010, 10:17 AM   #37
cwb

look what i got from shooters yesterday

Old February 15, 2010, 03:51 PM   #38
skydiver3346

Hi cwb: Glocks are great.

I have a Glock 21 (custom shop) that would blow your mind if you ever shot it. Awesome self defense gun and extremely accurate as well. NEVER has a jam or problem with it and have shot tons or rounds down range without incident. So it is reliable and thats all that counts when and if it ever goes down....
Maybe we can get together and shoot some time in the Jax area. Take care.
Rick
Old February 15, 2010, 04:42 PM   #39
Detective

oooh I like where we are all going with this! Can I also join in to play? I've got Kimber SIS Ultra that's going to melt in your hands (well, figuratively speaking because literally it would really not be very reliable if it melts...)...
Old February 16, 2010, 12:35 AM   #40
cwb

sorry my hk uspc .40 does not play well with other....
Old March 18, 2010, 07:09 PM   #41
Suwannee Tim

I have been a member of Gateway for 35 years. I have had guns pointed at me so many times I cringe to think about it. They will bust the hell out of one member for having two targets on a frame then excuse another who points a gun down the firing line. I am amazed no one has gotten killed yet. I was harassed by a RO name of Donny Martinez to the point I was going to let my membership lapse and find somewhere else to shoot. Alas, there is not any comparable place with in a reasonable distance. Martinez busted my buddy for pointing a muzzle loader vertically as he loaded it. Said it might shoot down an aircraft. My buddy quit Gateway. Martinez told me to drop the floor plate of my bolt action rifle before the range went clear. I picked the gun up and was attempting to drop the plate when he called the line clear then tore me a new one for handling a rifle on a clear line. He was very hostile about it and when I attempted to tell him it was his fault for calling the line clear while I was handling the rifle he began shouting at me "Don't argue with me!" I was so mad I had to just leave. I wanted to watch a Bullseye match and got run off by a RO name of Arvil Budd. He told me I could not stay unless I was registered to shoot in the match. He is a rude one except when I have my wife with me and then sugar won't melt in his mouth he is so sweet. Several times I have had to run him off because he was drooling on my wife.

Last edited by Suwannee Tim; March 18, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:38 PM   #42
Miketodd04

Formerly from Jacksonville

Hey Guys,
I grew up in Jacksonville on the Northside off Dunn Ave and I have had the BEST experiances at Gateway. Also, no on really mentioned Gun Gallery on Beach. My brother and I were members and they have a nice (smaller) indoor range. It is a smaller store and range (only can shoot up to .45 pistol and .22 rifle) BUt with inclement weather, it is great.
Just my .02.

Mike Todd