The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 15, 2011, 08:47 AM   #26
Skans

My CC shooting test went like this:

Me - step into a Mobil Home
Instructor - hands me a .22 revolver and one .22 LR cartridge.
Me - I load the one cartridge and close the cylinder.
Instructor - "just aim toward the target (in an 4-sided tank like thing) - don't worry about hitting it"
Me - pull trigger "Bang"
Instructore - "Next".
Old March 15, 2011, 02:19 PM   #27
HeroHog

How the CCW Student shot himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7AMMF7WaB8

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:47 PM   #28
Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks for the video. That explains a lot about how the shooting happened.
Old March 15, 2011, 07:17 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As above. The video goes far toward explaining how the seemingly-impossible happened.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:13 PM   #30
youngunz4life

Thank you for the video, HeroHog. I now have a better understanding and less unanswered questions about this incident.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:49 AM   #31
Davey

Easier to understand now. Thank you for posting the video. It's hard to imagine that this was considered to be effective.
Old March 17, 2011, 12:02 PM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

This a tragic but prime example of an affordance - that's where the design of an object channels you into an action - from the human factors folk. In this case, the finger seeks the trigger - that's the mantra.

While we know the four rules, some folks think that just chanting them is a guaranteed accident preventer but we know from the research that rules alone just don't cut it.
Old March 17, 2011, 03:42 PM   #33
markj

What happened to the instructor? if anything.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:06 PM   #34
leadcounsel

I didn't read all the posts, but will interject -

Seems like too much covered in the class.

But if off hand shooting or other techniques are covered, should be a classroom portion, followed by a dry fire portion (where zero ammo is introduced), and then a life fire portion.

The instructor should go to each individual student and personally inspect each gun to ensure no live ammo. Then observe them manipulate the controls, watch their stance, grip, etc. Then introduce ammo and repeat.

I don't see the training guns as having much merit but possibly. They have their place, but each student needs to become familiar with the weight, controls, etc. of their own gun, not a rubber ducky... Guns are safe, just remove the ammo and ENSURE the ammo is not present. Not saying you need to point them at each other, but we ALL do this in our homes with unloaded guns; we practice drawing, trigger squeeze, manipulating the controls... with real guns, not toys.

Yes, this is a sad situation and as others stated, I cannot envision how he got the gun all turned around and then shot himself... suspicious...
Old March 17, 2011, 09:50 PM   #35
ClydeFrog

VA training standards, duckys...

To my limited knowledge, VA only requires residents to take a ONLINE exam to get the required CCW license/permit.

I also read a news item about 3/4 years ago of a few south Florida NRA trained instructors who used airsoft type pistols for the state CCW course.

As for the "rubber ducks", I still strongly feel it's safer & better to use prop or demo type weapons until a student is able to move on to real working firearms.
Firearms are lethal weapons and a mature, professional instuctor should take things slow with new handgun owners/CCW students.
Old March 18, 2011, 08:23 PM   #36
wally626

Shooting with the weak hand is certainly not an advanced technique, but what was shown in the video posted above was certainly for an advanced student only. Drawing with the strong hand is probably more advanced than what should be covered in a basic 3 hour course let alone weak hand draw from a strong side holster.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:02 PM   #37
pmeisel

The video was enormously helpful. Gotta keep the "between ears" safety engaged all the time......