The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 25, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
James Kain

Rifle Shooting Just over the basic's

What are some good pointers for shooting over 100yrds/meters? I m familiar with the basics, but maybe there are some tricks out there I m missing or have not heard?
Old July 25, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
azsixshooter

Here are some links to Army Field Manuals you can download for free:

Sniper Training:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-10/index.html

This one is on rifle marksmanship for M16A1,2,3,4 and M4:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...2-9/index.html

I believe there's a good section on general marksmanship in the first FM link.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old July 25, 2008, 09:52 PM   #3
James Kain

M16

Man did i ever have to go over the BRM in the army. On top of is all I was maintenance for everything that went bang! "45B Small arms and towed artillery" But dosnt mean I got to shoot alot, so anything is worth going over once, and maybe you lean new things. Maybe it will bring back memory's!
Thanks!
Old July 26, 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Citizen Carrier

Both manuals make scant, if any mention of using the sling as an aid to shooting.

If you are shooting an AR15 and it doesn't have free float National Match service rifle handguards or the aluminum tube handguard found on "varmint" versions of the AR15, then you shouldn't be using a sling as a shooting aid. It will flex the barrel.

Any other rifle should be fine for slinging up. Literature suggests that a properly used sling can increase your accuracy from the prone by up to 15%.
Old July 26, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Rangefinder

Practice, practice, and then practice.

Get snap-caps and spend some time with dry-fire practice from all positions. When in BRM, did you have the little "dime balance" dry-fire exercise? That's a good one for steady hold and smooth squeeze technique.

Also--are you planning to shoot with optics or irons?

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old July 26, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
30Cal

It's the same as shooting 50 or 100yds; you just need more elevation and the wind begins to matter more and more the farther out you get.
Old August 2, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
James Kain

Dry Fire

Yes, but we used pennies when doing the dry firing. Although we didn't used expended shells or snap caps. I asked about it and they always said its fine. Of course I found out later that they were made to take that beating. I never could really do the trigger pull they had asked of me. Put only the tip of the finger on the trigger only. That killed me, and probley was why I never got better then marksman on the BRM! But you know what would be wicked! Get on or two of the self sealing green pop ups for ****s and giggles.
PS I have a tendency to get side tracked if you haven't noticed in this message. Do you know of a place that sells 6.5X55 snap-caps?
Old August 2, 2008, 01:00 AM   #8
James Kain

My little set up

I have a few photos you can see of how and where I shoot. Its in another thread I have made called AR'S in 6.5 swede. I have a note pad to write down my FPS and group sizes and anything else that strikes me as note worthy. Also the paper pushing thing is not new but new to me doing it willingly!
Old August 2, 2008, 01:49 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Do you know of a place that sells 6.5X55 snap-caps?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...299&t=11082005
Old August 13, 2008, 06:58 PM   #10
davlandrum

Quote:
good pointers for shooting over 100yrds/meters?
Same exact ones for under 100: trigger control, sight picture, breath control. Same exact thing they taught in BRM.

Good habits and good practice will get you to your personal potential. That is why .22 practice is a great way to improve. It is not the distance, it is all about the shot.

In our last hunter safety class, I was coaching a 9-year-old girl. We talked about the basics and I just let her do her best on her first 5 shots. Ended up with a pattern, not a group. For the next 5 shots, I quietly talked her through each shot - sight picture, breath in, breath 1/2 out, squeeze. She put 5 in about 1 inch at 25 yards. She was so proud, as was her Grandpa who was watching.

Do you have someone that can watch you while you shoot? Sometimes it helps having another set of eyes watch you.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 23, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
kraigwy

Quote:
What are some good pointers for shooting over 100yrds/meters? I m familiar with the basics, but maybe there are some tricks out there I m missing or have not heard?
Try this, its the best Rifle Shooting book you can find to answer your questions, put out by the Best Shooters in the World. At this price you cant go wrong.

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalo...4=&note5=&max=

The USAMU Servie Rifle Marksmanship Guide, $6.95.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071