The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 25, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
JEFFnSTL

Browning Rifle - Lever Action .308 Cal.

Good evening all.

I have a good friend who just recently inherited a Browning Lever action rifle in a .308 caliber. We believe the rifle is from the late 70's early 80's and in great condition. He said his father in law never used the rifle but once or twice. We are just wondering if anyone can shed some more light on this rifle. Model, price range, etc...

Serial: 07021K**
Caliber: .308
Action: Lever
Stock: Wood / Walnut?
Barrel: Blued / believe 20" or so
Scope: Bushnell with a light to illuminate the scope optics
Scope Mounts: Raised, so you can use Iron sights also
Old November 25, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
GeauxTide

BLR

The BLR is a first rate compact rifle that was originally offered in 243 and 308, if memory serves. Very smooth and accurate for a thin, short barrel.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3
PetahW

Your BLR was born in 1970, and has the desireable (to most BLR lovers) steel receiver, and in excellent condition easily worth $500-$550.

It also has the early, drop-out detachable magazine instead of the later detachable magazine with a large floorplate attached, used in the BLR-81.

The Bushnell Lite-Site scope is a favorite for many hunting close areas, especially in the dimmly-lit hour just before sunrise & after sunset - my Son has 3 of them, on various firearms (rifle/shotgun/modern muzzleloader).

They were a bit costly, when new back in the day; but IIRC my Son bought his last one for only a yard & a half ($150).

IMHO, raised, "see-through" scope rings/mounts are an ungainly abomibation, since I found long ago that for those times I didn't want to use the scope, I wanted the scope "off" the gun - but YMMV, certainly.

Old November 26, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
What you have is a Belgian made BLR (the original) . They are a rock solid firearm , if you can live with the trigger . Don't let anyone mess with the trigger , because if they screw it up , parts are hard to come by . I've been looking for a hammer for one for three months now , and still looking . A previous gunsmith did a trigger job on it and took too much metal off it at the sear notch so that now it won't stay cocked !
Old November 26, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
JEFFnSTL

Thanks for all your replies and help. It's a beautiful rifle and I'm sure he will enjoy hearing this information.

Thanks again.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
bamaranger

see throughs-yuck

Yeah +1 to Peta's comment on the see through's. My Dad always used them. He came from the generation that saw a lot of problem scopes, and Dad never spent a whole lot on a scope either if he could avoid it.

Lower that scope with a decent set of rings and it will improve the rifle's shootability and lines.

I've always thought the early BLR looked best with the straight tube, fixed power scopes. Fixed 3x, or low power 1-5xvari's that sort of thing.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Ditto on what bamaranger said about scopes . The BLR is a straight comb stocked rifle and needs the scope as low as possible , and no front bell on the scope makes that possible . I have a K-3W Weaver that would be so at home on that rifle !

Tags
.308 , browning rifle , lever action rifle