The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2015, 08:43 AM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
one of those gauges that are owned by folks looking to stay in the gun buying game when they have WAY more 12s and 20s than God ever had .....other than that just about useless....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....the 28 and 410 are pretty much the lonely fat guys guns who's still looking for something to do....talk with him about 28s and 410s he will know everything there is to know about them....maybe even 24s and 32s....geeeez
Sounds like you've never shot, let alone owned, one of these. Your screen name does not fit your statement....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 6, 2015, 03:05 PM   #27
Death from Afar

No he is right. I am going to throw my Rizzini .410 into the trash as it makes me a sad old man.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:36 PM   #28
Creek Henry

I looked into 28s for a youth gun for my son. First of all, the ammo selection at ALL gun stores for the 28 is thin. Very thin. Secondly, the gun selection is non existent. The gauge looks intruiging but I will pass on it unless I win the lottery.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:48 PM   #29
FITASC

Try using the internet - you'll find many dozens of guns and as many ammo selections
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2015, 08:30 PM   #30
Creek Henry

A valid point, friend. But, it was easier to go to cabelas and use my visa club points to get a gun off the rack for free (basically).

I do want a 28 SxS though. I might sell off a few guns to get a nice too. Just not today :). Maybe in a few years when I retire.
Old August 8, 2015, 08:32 AM   #31
FITASC

I don't have a Cabela's near me at all, but I do the same thing over the Net. They hate me as I am one of those folks who took advantage of free shipping a bit ago when then they put shotgun ammo on sale - they lost their butt on my order!......................
Old August 12, 2015, 04:33 AM   #32
Skeets
Member in memoriam

A 28ga.will visibly break targets with 12ga.authority,but much easier on shooter!
Old August 12, 2015, 08:56 AM   #33
eastbank

i bought two flats of win high base 0ne oz #6 shells for my .28ga,s for small game and if you can,t kill them with one oz #6,s,maybe you need shooting lessons. for all other shooting i reload 3/4 oz #7.5-#8 . eastbank.