The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2015, 04:27 PM   #1
TheFineLine

Lee Bulge Buster or Redding GRX to eliminate bulge

I am getting some fail to feeds in a Lone Wolf barreled Glock 35 in 40S&W . I believe it is due to a slight bulge from using once fired range brass. I understand Lee has a bulge buster that goes with it's crimp die and Redding has the GRX. Anyone have experience with these? Which do you prefer? Please confirm if they'll work in a Hornady LNL progressive.
Old March 12, 2015, 04:43 PM   #2
the led farmer

I have used the Lee bulge buster for 10mm, (same die) but found that I really didn't need it. Works as advertised tho.

Are you sure it's the brass and not an OAL issue?
Old March 12, 2015, 04:48 PM   #3
TheFineLine

OH yeah. They cycle just fine through an M&P but the new Lone Wolf barrel has a tighter chamber I believe. I only got a couple of FTFs. Most of them cycled just fine.

After further review, it does not appear that I can use either of the dies in a Progressive press.

Guess I'll have to break it to the wife that I "need" a single stage.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:13 PM   #4
jepp2

I have used the Lee die and it works great. Couldn't see the reason to spend the extra bucks for the Redding (and I have LOTS of Redding dies for rifles).

For range pick up, I put them through the Lee bulge buster the first time I size. After that I never have to since I also use the Lone Wolf barrel and don't load super hot.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:24 PM   #5
McCarthy

Using the Redding GRX push through die including bottle and connector for my 10mm brass out of a G29 with stock and LW barrel. Works excellent, no FTF since.

Even tho I don't own the Lee push through die, I'd stay away. All my other Redding dies work better than the Lee counterpart. Smoother and lighter operation, no marks on the cases, closer to SAAMI specifications. Quality pays off.
Old March 12, 2015, 08:23 PM   #6
rg1

Just purchased the Redding GR-X die for 40 S&W. Just this week finished running 1000 purchased once fired Winchester cases through the die. The carbide version needs no lube. Before my Hornady or RCBS sizing dies left a radius at the place the sizing die carbide ring stopped and some so severe that the cases were scrapped. After pushing all the purchased once fired cases through the GR-X, all 1000 cases sized perfectly with no rings, radius, or marks left where the sizing dies stop. All cases look perfect after sizing in my Hornady 40 S&W sizer with none scrapped. I highly recommend the carbide GR-X die for 40 S&W. It's expensive but worth every penny to me. It is NOT for salvaging cases that have the severe bulge from an unsupported chamber but for cases that are just swelled in the head area that sizing dies do not reach. I think these cases must come from slightly large diameter chambers and not from unsupported barrels. Seems a lot of once fired cases are slightly swelled in the head area but the GR-X carbide push through sizer is the right tool for the job. From my experience I can only recommend the Redding Carbide GR-X push thru die. Don't know about your press but the push rod snaps into a shellholder slot and the die has threads and a lock ring like all dies.
Old March 12, 2015, 09:36 PM   #7
snakeye

I use the Lee bulge buster a lot for my bulged 40 SW....works good and reasonably priced
Old March 12, 2015, 10:39 PM   #8
McCarthy

Quote:
It is NOT for salvaging cases that have the severe bulge from an unsupported chamber..
I use my Redding GRX die for brass with the well known Glock bulge. Redding build this die specifically for unsupported Glock barrels.
Old March 12, 2015, 11:10 PM   #9
bigD01

Bulge buster

I reload on a Hornady L nL ap. I use the Redding Grx bulge buster on each reload
because of ftf problems, works great! Mount it in station 5, Don't need any lube on cases.
Old March 13, 2015, 04:38 AM   #10
hartcreek

I am just using a Lee four die set for .40 cal and having no problems getting rid of the bulges.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:39 AM   #11
parttime

I have used the Lee die for removing the bulge from the cases and it works as it is advertised. However I stopped using it and just size the cases with a normal sizing die set up properly. If a bulge still exists after sizing (very rarely) I just s--t can it.
As stated earlier Lone Wolf barrels have tight chambers, you can send the barrel and a dummy round back to them and they will ream it out at a very low cost.
The only times I experenced FTF with Lone Wolf barrels is when I used lead bullets.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:44 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I have used the Lee bulge buster for 10mm, (same die) but found that I really didn't need it. Works as advertised though.
Same here. Although I still use it. I too have a Lone Wolf barrel for both my 10mm's (20sf, 29sf). I'm in favor of the process in its principle - I like straight brass.

For 10mm and 45 ACP, I push through all my brass. I bought Lee FCD's dedicated for the Bulge Busters - so I don't have to configure/deconfigure for crimping.
Old March 13, 2015, 11:31 AM   #13
TheFineLine

So I just went ahead and bought the Lee 'El Cheapo' $28 single stage press along with their bulge buster and 40 sizing die. Hoping this'll take care of it.
Old March 13, 2015, 11:34 AM   #14
the led farmer

Did you get the sizing die or the carbide factory crimp die?? The FCD is what you need for this, hopefully you just typed wrong or you'll need to hurry up and change your order!
Old March 13, 2015, 01:33 PM   #15
TheFineLine

Oops! FCD is what I ordered. Hadn't had enough coffee yet this morning!
Old March 13, 2015, 02:27 PM   #16
CowTowner

I use mine for all my 40 short & wimpy and 10mm Auto brass. (Most of it is range pickup).
Does a great jobs and everything chambers as it should after processing.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 14, 2015, 06:04 PM   #17
Real Gun

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reload on a Hornady L nL ap. I use the Redding Grx bulge buster on each reload
because of ftf problems, works great! Mount it in station 5, Don't need any lube on cases
No, that doesn't size below the shellholder. The case has to be pushed clear through the GRx die using the ram that fits in a shellholder of a single stage or turret.
Old March 15, 2015, 03:12 PM   #18
bigD01

Sorry, but the ram pushes the stem of the Grx die up and the empty case passes up all the way threw the die. works for me!!!!
Old March 15, 2015, 05:14 PM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
I reload on a Hornady L nL ap. I use the Redding Grx bulge buster on each reload because of ftf problems, works great! Mount it in station 5, Don't need any lube on cases.
Quote:
Sorry, but the ram pushes the stem of the Grx die up and the empty case passes up all the way threw the die. works for me!!!!
Yes, but not on a progressive (LnL AP). If you are still insistent, I would love to see some pictures.
Old March 15, 2015, 11:43 PM   #20
vaalpens

If you have the Lee FCD then you only need the punch unless you want the complete bulge buster kit. I use my 40S&W Lee FCD and punch to debulge my 357sig and it works like a charm. My brass was just over specification and the debulger worked. If your brass is within spec, then I don't know if the Lee or Redding will work the best.
Old March 16, 2015, 07:16 AM   #21
Master Blaster

I had my .45 acp Hornady sizing die wear out in my LNL AP around 25,000 rounds, it started to fail to properly size Remington brass (thinner than other brands) first and the sized brass would not hold plated bullets with proper neck tension to prevent set backs. It took me a while to figure it out but a new sizing die fixed the issue.
Old March 16, 2015, 07:33 AM   #22
jmorris

I automated a casepro for the job. It will roll size 1800 cases an hour and also irons out the extractor groove, something a push through sizer cannot do. Works on tapered cases as well.

Old March 16, 2015, 09:57 PM   #23
bigD01

Grx Bulgebuster

Realgun, I may have not explained my process properly. I do use this die in my
AP, But all other functions are suspended during the process. only use the 5th
station, one at a time. It involves removing the crimp die since it is easiest to
reach. not a speedy process but, like I said, works for me!!!!!
Old March 18, 2015, 03:40 PM   #24
Real Gun

Quote:
Realgun, I may have not explained my process properly. I do use this die in my
AP, But all other functions are suspended during the process. only use the 5th
station, one at a time. It involves removing the crimp die since it is easiest to
reach. not a speedy process but, like I said, works for me!!!!!
Can't picture that, if the press is indexing every time you pull the handle. It would eject the G-Rx ram every time, no?.

A little $25 Lee single stage does the job better, I suspect.

Last edited by Real Gun; March 18, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old March 18, 2015, 05:58 PM   #25
jmorris

This may be of interest a video of a Lee single stage press to push through size bullets that I automated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

Thought about setting one up for cases as well but I already have two of the casepro machines.