The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 19, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
boostedtt91

Loosening up a fobus holster

I just picked up a fobus hk-1 paddle holster for my s&w sigma and it is very tight. I am pretty much pulling the holster out trying to take out the gun out. Is there any good ways to loosen this up some without pulling the gun in and out a bunch of times till it eventually loosens up?
Old January 19, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2
BarryLee

I am not sure what material this holster is made of, but an old trick is to wrap your gun in plastic wrap and holster if for a few days. The idea is that the plastic wrap will offer just enough extra size to stretch the holster out. I tried it on a leather holster and it did work.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 19, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
GlockedNLoded32

I have the Fobus GL2E2 Evolution Series Paddle Holster for my Glock32 all i did was take the adjustment screw out thats right below the trigger guard and it allows me to slide my firearm in and out allot easier rather than trying to stretch the plastic polymer
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old January 19, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
boostedtt91

Quote:
take the adjustment screw out thats right below the trigger guard
There is no adjustment screw on it. I have read to spray silicone spray in it which will loosen it up.

As far as the plastic wrap, its pretty tight that i don't think it will fit with plastic wrap around the gun
Old January 19, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

Quote:
boostedtt91
Loosening up a fobus holster
I just picked up a fobus hk-1 paddle holster for my s&w sigma and it is very tight. I am pretty much pulling the holster out trying to take out the gun out. Is there any good ways to loosen this up some without pulling the gun in and out a bunch of times till it eventually loosens up?
Since it is a passive retention holster, it is doing its job by holding onto your gun. From my experience, you have to twist the grip outward and up at the same time. Yes, it will work a little looser with use. Someone mentioned loosening the screw, but a standard Fobus doesn't have the screw like the Evolution series.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
JerryM

Earlier Fobus holsters did not have an adjustment screw. They won't loosen up by normal means such as the plastic bag trick.
I put a screwdriver in the seams and open them. Then I left it there for several days until it did deform.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
I am not sure what material this holster is made of, but an old trick is to wrap your gun in plastic wrap and holster if for a few days.
This only works with leather holsters.
I have a Fobus for my Ruger MK II and its a huge pain in the keister getting the gun out. I loosened the screw and even put a small spacer on the screw trying to open the holster some, I'll try the one suggestion and remove the screw
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #8
spacecoast

Similar to Jerry, I wedged a small-caliber piece of brass in the seam and let it sit for a few days to loosen it up some. Even now, I have a small black rubber washer in that seam (I just leave it there) and it works well for both my P95 and P345. Prior to all this, it was impossible to remove a firearms with the holster on your belt. IIRC mine has a rivet, not a screw.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:50 PM   #9
boostedtt91

It needs to get looser on the inside or even just something i could put on the inside to help it slide out easier. What about using some kind of oil or warming up the holster with heat to stretch it?
Old January 21, 2012, 03:47 AM   #10
roadrash

Sounds like the perfect start to your junk holster box.
Dont feel to bad,we all have one.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:56 PM   #11
boostedtt91

i emailed Fobus about this problem to see what their solution is if they have one, since it seems to be a problem with every one of their holsters. He emailed me back and told me to call him Monday so ill let ya know what they say
Old January 23, 2012, 09:15 PM   #12
wover98

I had this trouble with the first one I bought untill I found the "Secret"
I now have 3 and love them.
A good friend posted some advice for me while reading a post simular to this.
You just grab the grip as normal then SNATCH the gun from the holster. This will become second nature to you as you get the hang of it. DONT try to just pull it out, snatch it rapidly and it should come right out.

Hope this helps.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Ryan19D

it takes some time to work it in. For me I left my weapon in the holster and just let it stretch it's self out. Also someone else said you have to push forward and pull up at the same time. Practice the draw (unloaded and in a safe place of course) and you'll get it down.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:57 PM   #14
boostedtt91

i figured out how to get these holsters to work 100x better and its quite simply and effective! I got my Hoppes gun oil and just put a little drop on my finger and rubbed the inside of the holster down real good with the oil till it was all spread out. The gun will not slide in and out perfectly with no resistance, but at the same time you can put it in the holster and turn it upside down and it won't fall out.

It doesn't get oil all over your gun either since your only using a drop and i did it 5 days ago and it still works flawlessly. I am very happy with this holster now. Give it a try if you have the same problem and i bet you'll be surprised how well it works
Old January 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

A few years ago, got mom a Fobus paddle holster for her Glock 26. She put on the holster, holstered her gun, and then could not draw it. The gun was empty at the time (checked before testing the holster). So she asked me to draw it from the holster. I picked up mom off the ground by her Glock.

I took her gun and holster home and treated the holster with ArmorAll. If you have every ArmorAlled your vinyl car seats or steering wheel, you know how much friction is reduced. I then spent most of the evening drawing and holstering the gun until things relaxed a bit.

ArmorAll works well, but DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR GLOCK OR POLYMER GUNS. Let's just say that this is a comment based on experience.
Old January 25, 2012, 05:16 PM   #16
boostedtt91

yeah i figured oil would work the best since it won't hurt the gun at all and it has made my holster from ready to throw in the trash to a perfect holster