The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2011, 08:14 AM   #1
outerss

16 ga Browning A5 question

I inherited a 16 ga. Browning Auto-5 from my dad that from the serial number appears to have been made in 1932. Having done some research, I know that it was originally made to use the 2 9/16” shells, but is there an easy way to tell if it has been “converted” to accept the 2 ¾ shells? My dad never used it, but I know that at one time he loaned it to my uncle and cousin and remember as a kid being told how they had it “fixed” to use the US ammo. I did use it once to shoot skeet (with 2 3/4), and had to manually eject the shell after every shot. Not easy. So I guess my other question is that if it has been converted, is it still safe to use the original 2 9/16 shells it was built for? Thanks
Old November 29, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
PawPaw

The Browning "Sweet 16" 16 gauge shotgun is an iconic firearm. You're lucky to have one. It's an inertia gun and the rings have to be set for the shells you want to use. If the gun was set-up for high velocity hunting loads, then you'd need to change the ring arrangement to accommodate light target loads. It's fairly simple to do, but requires removing the forearm and adjusting the rings to suit the shells you're using.

Browning has a web page that shows how to adjust those rings. LINKY HERE!

Quote:
but is there an easy way to tell if it has been “converted” to accept the 2 ¾ shells?
The barrel should be stamped with information that will tell you what length of shell the barrel is chambered for. However, it's an easy check for a gunsmith. He only need measure the chamber. If the chamber has been reamed for 2 3/4 shells, a gunsmith will take a simple measurement and give you the news.

Enjoy your Sweet 16. It's a fine firearm and one that you can pass down to your kids or grandkids.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 29, 2011, 08:48 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Converting the Browning A5 16 gauge in 2 9/16 is much more than a simple reaming out of the chamber.
Go to www.shotgunworld.com in the Browning forum there is a sticky telling how to find out if the gun was converted.

If the gun is still 2 9/16 chamber, over at www.16ga.com they have a listing of the 16 ga. shell manufacture's and the length of shells they make.

One thing is the trigger on your gun gold plated?
Old November 29, 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
outerss

Thanks for the replies! No, it doesn't have the gold trigger.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:24 AM   #5
jrothWA

Suggest you go to the browning website and...

locate part numbers for the recoil spring and friction bronze rings and steel rings. Order new and replace the ones in the shotgun.
This seems to minimize malfunctions.

Enjoy the 16!
Old November 29, 2011, 11:08 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

The Sweet Sixteen came out in 1937 and had a gold plated trigger and safety.

At that time the Sweet Sixteen serial numbers followed the normal number range, they did not seperate numbers.