The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Strayhorn

Ortgies safety removal?

Friends -

A darned old previous owner took a file to the grip safety of an Ortgies Pocket Pistol and I'd like to replace it. Fortunately, parts are available. I've gotten the frame stripped down to the last two pieces - the takedown catch and the safety itself, but I'm stumped on how I get these last two pieces out. The grip safety seems to hold the catch from being pushed out the left side, and the catch prevents the safety from being withdrawn from the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated. I've found exploded views on the web, but no info on how to finally disassemble the safety.

Thanks,

"We spent the night at Strayhorn's farm, about nine miles from Hillsboro."
-- Lt.Gen. Wade Hampton
Old February 25, 2002, 07:23 PM   #2
johnwill

I'll try again, the board locked up an hour or so ago when I was trying to tell you this. There should be nothing but the safety catch that could stop the grip safety from coming out, though you might have to wiggle it around a bit. I'd try depressing the safety catch and then wiggle the grip safety around, it comes out back, then down.
Old February 26, 2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Strayhorn

Thanks, I'll give it a try again tonight. It seems to be catching on something as I try to withdraw it from the bottom and I can't figure out exactly what.

Fascinating little firearms, though. The grip panel attachment is a hoot!

-- Lt.Gen. Wade Hampton
Old February 26, 2002, 05:23 PM   #4
johnwill

Lots of people pry the grips off, breaking the wood at the spring loaded catch. You'll see them with rubber bands or tape...
Old February 27, 2002, 09:05 AM   #5
Strayhorn

Success! I chucked up the frame in a vise, using a bench block to allow the take-down catch to protrude from the right side.

I pulled the safety back as far as it would go, then used a brass drift to lightly tap the top (just above the take-down catch) and it popped right out. Must have been a very snug fit.

Besides the broken grips, I often find these with broken firing pins. Seems a common mistake is to replace the slide in a manner that the firing pin sear hangs on the trigger sear, and people will bang on the end of the slide, breaking off the firing pin sear. These are available from both SARCO and Numrich, if anyone needs one.

Thanks again for the tip.

-- Lt.Gen. Wade Hampton
Old February 27, 2002, 09:38 AM   #6
johnwill

Glad to see you had success, good luck with the rebuild.
Old February 28, 2002, 10:15 AM   #7
Strayhorn

Thanks, johnwill.

The safety replacement arrived this morning and I'll start the rebuild this weekend. SARCO had all the parts and our friends at Wolff Gunsprings even have a "service pack" for the Ortgies.

You know, the machining on this little pocket pistol is very complex - the frame and grip safety are a testament to the days when even inexpensive firearms were made by men who really knew what they were doing.

-- Lt.Gen. Wade Hampton
Old February 28, 2002, 10:38 AM   #8
johnwill

I marvel at a lot of the German guns, clearly they had a real thing for overdesign in the early 1900's! I love the old Walthers in my collection, every part is finely machined, even the ones that it wouldn't make any difference. No stamped metal in those babies!