The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 2001, 01:01 AM   #1
10CFR

Body Armor For Women

Well, I have a DFQ. Is there generally women's and men's body armor, or is it generally unisex? When I was issued armor, I've always worn what I was issued, and never gave any thought to what my female co-workers were issued. I just had a female ask me about women's body armor, and I really don't have a clue other than what I have been able to find on the net:

From what I can generally see, most mainstream armor manufacturers do not address gender in the specifications for their products- it's just a vest, not a men's or women's vest. You take the same measurements whether you are male or female, then you order your vest based upon those measurements. Then I see there are a few new companies that seem to be making a product designed for women.

So, I found a gap in my knowledge. Could someone please clue me in so I can help my co-worker.

-10CFR
Old October 24, 2001, 05:04 AM   #2
Jake 98c/11b

There are definately differences in mens/womens body armor. Several new measurements for the women for good fit. Most manufacturers offer custom fit for the ladies, it is a complex process but I don't think there is an extra charge. This is definately one of those measure twice, cut once areas. A bad fit on a guy is bad but it is unworkable for women. Once the pannels are formed there is little that you can do to alter them.

I hope this was some help, if you have any more specific questions please ask, I have dealt with body armor for a while now.
Old October 24, 2001, 07:00 AM   #3
Jim V

Second Chance Body Armor, for one, makes armor for women. http://www.secondchance.com
Old October 24, 2001, 08:42 PM   #4
10CFR

Thanks for your responses.