The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Desert Dog

Rebarrel a Enfield No. 1 to 30-30?

I have a bubbaized Enfield No.1 that has excessive headspace. Has anyone ever rebarrelled one for 30-30 Winchester?

It seems to me that, that cartridge, with a similar shape and profile, and medium pressure would be a prime candidate for an old Enfield. I could actually start loading 30-30 with spitzer bullets as well.

What do you think?

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old April 2, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
mtnboomer

I've never heard of anyone doing that. You would have to use a No. 2 Ishapore Enfield .308 barrel that has been severely modified and rechambered or an aftermarket .30 caliber barrel that has been rechambered as I don't think any are available in .30-30.

I would rebarrel with another No. 1 .303 barrel to save time and money. The British .303 is a ballistic twin of the .30-40 Krag.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old April 2, 2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

How about rebarelling it into a 45/70?
Old April 4, 2005, 05:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

How bad is the headspace? Usually you can deal with the problem by changing bolt heads around. (Remember, the L-E headspaces on its rim, so the headspace is only the distance from bolt face to barrel face; the chamber is about irrelevant.)

If the headspace is really bad, I am not sure a new barrel will resolve the problem. Most of the L-E's that have excess headspace have badly battered and worn bolt lug seats in the receiver, and that is not easily corrected, even with longer bolt heads or even new bolts. I think you should try to find a gunsmith who understands those rifles rather than spending time and money trying to fix the unfixable. If you do decide to rebarrel, the best choice would be to look for a new barrel in .303; there are some around.

One problem is that you will spend a lot more money rebarrelling to another caliber than the rifle is worth. Maybe it would be wise to consider just retiring that rifle and buying another one that is OK. If you do rebarrel to .30, a better choice would be .30-40 Krag, which is even closer in profile to the .303 and shouldn't require any other alteration.

Jim
Old April 6, 2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Desert Dog

Thanks for the advice Jim. I can get a .004" feeler gauge between the bolt head face and the 'field' headspace gauge with the extractor removed.

No, this poor old '42 BSA was my father's bubba job and it has sentimental value. I was just wondering if 30-30 was a practical caliber change because I had always heard that NO.1 actions could not handle any more pressure than what .303 British provides, and sitting and looking at a 30-30 case next to a .303, thought it might be a cheap, viable rechamber/rebarrel so I can continue to enjoy this rifle.

I don't dare mix brass between it and my Savage NO.4 which has perfect headspace and a tighter chamber, so the rebarrel would take care of that little problem too...

I guess I will just put the old girl in the back of the safe and look at it ever so often...

Here are my old girls.. The one in question is on the right:

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson