The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
HotRod87

Saiag12

Looking to buy a semi-auto shotgun, would like to have full auto AA-12. Two reasons i was looking at the saiga 12. 1 because the magazines, 2 the gas plug. For the guys that shoot semi-auto, what would be the pros and cons.
Old October 25, 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
rburch

Quote:
Looking to buy a semi-auto shotgun, would like to have full auto AA-12. Two reasons i was looking at the saiga 12. 1 because the magazines, 2 the gas plug. For the guys that shoot semi-auto, what would be the pros and cons.
HUH?? Are you wanting a Saiga or an AA-12? Full Auto or Semi Auto?

You like the Saiga cause it has a gas plug?

Can you please translate this post for me?

Odds of finding a transferable AA-12 are pretty much nil, so if that's what you want, afraid you're out of luck. But still not entirely sure what you're asking about here.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:37 PM   #3
HotRod87

I was saying it would be nice to have a AA-12, but i'm going to have to settle for a semi. From what i've heard about the saiga12 its reliable, and its the only semi auto shotgun that i know of that will take a 20 round drum. From what i know about the gas plug, by rotating it you can have different number shots.
Old October 25, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
rjrivero

The Saiga-12 is indeed a semi-automatic shotgun. In the "sporting" configuration, it's imported from Russia. If you want to use high capacity magazines, and it's legal to do so in your local, you need to "modify" the shotgun so it complies with 922(r). You can have no more than 10 foreign parts on the shotgun to use high capacity magazines.

The high capacity magazines available are 8, 10, 12, 20 round drums.

Your understanding of the gas plug is incorrect. The gas plug will meter the gas going into the gas block. There are 2 settings on the stock gas plug. Setting 1 is for high brass rounds, such as slugs and buckshot. It will decrease the amount of gas going into the operating system. Setting 2 is for "low brass" rounds like birdshot. It allows MAXIMUM gas into the operating system.

The number of modifications you can do to a Saiga are pretty limitless. There are new gas plugs available that are self regulating, as well as any number of pistol grip configurations you can put on a Saiga.

The cons: They're made in Russia and won't necessarily run out of the box 100%. You'll have to be patient and confident with either doing some simple tasks, such as polishing the bolt, and bolt carrier, and maybe even working the gas ports to deliver the gas needed for running "low brass" bulk birdshot.

Or be prepared to send the shotgun to a custom house that will do the work for you, for a charge.

You can spend as much on a Saiga as you want to, so buyer beware!!
Old October 25, 2010, 11:20 PM   #5
rburch

Quote:
I was saying it would be nice to have a AA-12, but i'm going to have to settle for a semi. From what i've heard about the saiga12 its reliable, and its the only semi auto shotgun that i know of that will take a 20 round drum. From what i know about the gas plug, by rotating it you can have different number shots.
Okay, got ya now. Heard mixed things about saigas, some people have nothing but trouble out of them other's run like a top straight away.

I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with Saigas. I've shot a buddies 410 a few times and a Saiga 12 once. Both functioned flawlessly when I used them, but neither had been converted so they didn't have large mags.

rjrivero's post has a lot of good info, so I'll say +1 to his post and try not to step on his toes.

What is your main goal for getting the gun? Your purpose for it that is.

If you want a gun for skeet or bird hunting, then there's probably a better option out there than the saiga.

That said, if you just want a high capacity shottie to play with on the range the saiga should be a good option.

Just be aware of the issues rjrivero mentioned.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old October 26, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6
HotRod87

Just one to play with at the range, i would settle for another. Its just the high cap-mags that got my attention. Thanks
Old October 26, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7
zippy13

Be advised, most conventional shotgun sports ranges don't allow you to load more shells than the next target presentation. This usually means you won't be shooting more than two consecutive shots -- you can leave your high capacity mag at home.