The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Audioruss

Brass for 270 wsm

Any thoughts on Norma vs. Nosler brass for the 270 WSM? I would use Lapua but unfortunately they don't make any 270 WSM. The Nosler brass is advertised to be ready to load with deburred flash holes, uniform neck diameter and primer pockets ect. Does the Norma come the same way? Is there much difference between the brass? I do like that the necks have been annealed on the Norma brass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Russ
Old March 18, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I've only bought Norma brass in 6.5-284, but there it is very good brass with much less case wall runout that I've seen so far in domestic brass, a chamfered case mouth and no flash hole burrs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 18, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Audioruss

Thanks for the information. Of course now I have to find the brass.

Russ
Old March 18, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
snuffy

I second the welcome!

I have been using the Norma brass for my 300 WSM. It's very good brass, far superior to the Winchester stuff.

I once got a bag of NEW WW brass for the 300 wizzum, 2 of the cases, the necks were so mangled, I couldn't use them! I needed the brass badly, or I would have returned them. I bought the Norma stuff as soon as it came out.

I had one of the first 300 WSM's that hit this area. No brass, no load data, only 2 boxes of factory loads. 1/3 of the 180 PSP loads, the brass would NOT hold primers! That stuff was loaded to the firewall!!!!!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 18, 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
gundog5

There are others that may have other opinions but here is mine. i have used nosler, remington, winchester, federal and starline brass in both my rifles and hand guns. After working up a load all of my rifles shoot moa or better. Does my rifles shoot better with certain bullet and powder combinations, yes, but what case I use has never made any noticable difference. Personally, unless you are into long range target comptition, I would save the money and buy rem, win, fed brass and with the extra money spend it on bullets and powder and work your loads by testing different powders and bullet combinations. just my .02
Old March 18, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
GeauxTide

I've used no Nosler brass, but I loaded for a 7mm Weatherby and found the Norma brass to be excellent quality. I could get 7 full loads before the primer pockets would loosen up.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:01 PM   #7
reynolds357

Norma is vastly superior brass in the .270 WSM. Nothing is in a class with Norma except Lapua.