The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2018, 10:05 PM   #1
JTReloader

Which Powder for 40 S&W

I got my best friend into loading awhile back and since then he has thrown a few great ideas at me. As rookies we both are learning something new ALL the time, epsoecially about powders as we have not ventured off into testing much due to money. He recently got unique and loves it in his 9mm. Not only does it shoot well it’s impossobke for him to have a double charge on his progressive due to the volume it takes up. As off right now I load for 40 but will soon load 9mm as far as pistols go. I currently use titegroup butvwas looking into WSF and w231. Buy now I’m thinking unique would be great if it’s enough t prevent a double charge which it aopears to be with the little test we ran. But then I’ve read a lot about universal. So my question is, does any of the other powders have the same bulkyness of unique to prevent the dreaded double charge? Also, which would you recommend out of unique, universal, wsf and w231?

Yes I am careful and check each case before seating a bullet, I’m just a safety kind of person and would love the extra security.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Astocks2622

W231 is my go to powder for 380, 9mm, 40, and bunny fart 10mm loads. I use other powders if looking for max power in a specific cartridge, but 231 does great at mid-level charges in most centerfire pistol rounds. I've found it to be a little dirty in the 380, but it meters easily, and works just fine for range fodder. I haven't used unique or wsf yet.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
So my question is, does any of the other powders have the same bulkyness of unique to prevent the dreaded double charge?
The most effective way to prevent a double charge is to check your case fill levels before seating the bullets. This is the most important step in loading. With time, I hope you'll gain the confidence in trusting yourself with it.

There are a lot of propellants that are too bulky for two charges to fit into a 9mm or 40 S&W case. Most any that fall into the intermediate burn rate range will fit this description. Unique however, is particularly fluffy.

I load a lot of revolver cases and they are far more spacious. Most of the time, I'm loading with a propellant that can easily double charge. And often, three, four, or more charges can fit in the case. When you come from the world of target revolver ammo, like me, you get highly accustomed to checking your case fill levels religiously.

I choose a propellant based on its performance for a given application; and not by how much it fills the case.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
saber9

I do not use Titegroup, 231 or Bullseye in .40 S&W or 9mm at all if loading FMJ bullets. These three are all very fast burning powders and I have found that medium burning rate powders like Unique or AA5 give much better results. .40 S&W and 9mm are high pressure rounds and the fast burning powders can reach peak pressures very quickly. I have used the fast burning powders in 9mm and .45 ACP with lead bullets and lighter loads.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Duster340

I use a lot of Blue Dot for my 40 loads. Also nice results with Red Dot and Unique. But Blue Dot is what I use most. It fills the cases nicely.
Old January 21, 2018, 12:34 AM   #6
rg1

I've only loaded 165 grain bullets and a few 155 grain, both FMJ-FP and hollowpoint bullets. I tested AA#5, Power Pistol, Unique, and Winchester Superfield WSF powders. While all the above powers worked well, my favorite is WSF. Velocities were good and when working up the velocity increase was consistent. I've read that WSF produces less felt recoil and I think it did. It fills the case well and you'd notice if it was accidentally double charged. It had good accuracy in my carbine rifle and pistol. Of the powders you listed I'd recommend WSF.

Last edited by rg1; January 21, 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Martys

Get some WST and you'll never look back!