The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Glock 26 vs S&W Shield In The Pocket

Why do a large number of folks generally poo-poo the idea of carrying a G26 in the pocket because of its size but others rave about the Shield being such a great pocket pistol? The G26 is roughly 1/4" longer and thicker, but almost 1/2" shorter in height. I would think the height of a pistol would make a much bigger difference in how it fits in a pocket. At least that has been my experience. The unloaded weight difference is only 3/4 of an ounce to boot.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; September 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 11:17 PM   #2
rs97

Why does an even larger number of folks generally poo-poo the idea of carrying anything but a G26?

Here a couple of possible reasons that come to my mind.

1. A longer grip of the Shield does allow you to control the pistol better. Thickness, well, just makes G26 harder to conceal.
2. Not everyone appreciates Glock’s ergonomics.
Old September 23, 2013, 01:56 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

The G27 in my pocket begs to differ
Old September 23, 2013, 02:06 AM   #4
peacefulgary

In my humble opinion, the Glock 26 is just too big to pocket-carry.

Yeah, it can be done, but everyone in the county will know that you're toting a pistol.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:07 AM   #5
gschoelles

I like carrying my 27, but would not carry in the pocket until I got or out of holster until I got one of these:

Just protecting my JEWELS duntjaknow....
Old September 23, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

I was interested in the Shield but had the same observations you did and already own a Glock 26. The one niche I can see the Shield being better at due to its thiness is IWB appendix carry. However, I would not pocket carry either pistol without a proper holster that covers and protects the trigger guard. There are lots of options for quality pocket holsters at a low price so no reason to run that risk - plus a good pocket holster will break up that distinctive gun outline.
Old September 23, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Quote:
1. A longer grip of the Shield does allow you to control the pistol better. Thickness, well, just makes G26 harder to conceal.*
But, a taller gun like the Shield makes it more difficult to draw.

And, when I talk about pocket pistols I am always talking about using a holster with them. You are just asking for trouble if you pocket carry without one in my opinion.
Old September 23, 2013, 01:35 PM   #8
JN01

A fully loaded G26 is going to be a bit heavier than the Shield.

They are both too big for me to pocket carry. Drawing an auto from your pocket is more difficult than a revolver, a G26/Shield size gun makes it harder.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

M&P Shield line, S-A XDs sub compacts...

For what it's worth...
Both the Smith & Wesson and S-A have new sub-compacts with factory recalls/problems.
The M&P Shield and the Springfield Armory XDs have recalls.

Clyde
PS; In my opine, the Glock 36 .45acp, the Glock 26 9x19mm or the 27/33 for defense is okay.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
t4terrific

A Kahr PM9 is about as big as I'm willing to pocket carry on an every day basis. It is very borderline as it is. The Shield is too big for every day pocket carry. It does offer more comfortable IWB carry, and lighter loaded bag carry (for the ladies) than the smallest Glocks.

I'd give big bucks for a Glock 9mm with the dimensions of a Kahr PM9, because I love the Glock trigger break and reset points.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:10 PM   #11
JERRYS.

two different guns physically. one has a longer grip the other has a thicker grip. takes a good size pocket to pull off either.
Old September 23, 2013, 06:40 PM   #12
rs97

Quote:
The G27 in my pocket begs to differ
Is that a Glock in your pocket or are you… Ahh, never mind.

I actually agree with others that either one is too big for pocket carry, unless it is a very specific and large pucker (a large coat pocket, for example).

As far as recalls and such, Glock had its share of problems. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited by rs97; September 23, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 23, 2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Joe_Pike

I must have big pockets. I was at the LGS today and I put a G27 in my front pocket and there was plenty of room. It seemed to not be much different than my 642.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
rs97

Quote:
I must have big pockets. I was at the LGS today and I put a G27 in my front pocket and there was plenty of room. It seemed to not be much different than my 642.
I know absolutely nothing about the size of your pockets or how you dress or your lifestyle. So if it works for you, it works for you. Please do not take my posts as a criticism of your choice as a CCW. I can only go on my personal experience. And from my personal experience even Mustang .380 (much smaller than G26) was too uncomfortable to carry in my pants pocket and I preferred the belt holster. It’s one thing when you are standing up and place a gun in your pocket, it’s another when you actually have to sit down, drive, etc.. Another thing to consider is drawing the gun. Drawing from your pants pocket (if we are talking about pants pocket) will be slower and harder than from a belt holster. Again, speaking from personal experience, which might be different from yours.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
Why do a large number of folks generally poo-poo the idea of carrying a G26 in the pocket because of its size but others rave about the Shield being such a great pocket pistol?
A picture speaks a thousand words.

Personally I think both are too large for pocket carry. Heck I think J frames are too large for pocket carry. The only guns that will sit comfortably in my pocket and not look like I'm smuggling potatoes are small .380 pistols.

Old September 23, 2013, 10:24 PM   #16
NWPilgrim

For most pants a G26/27 or Shield is too big. But, i can easily carry them in the front pocket of my Wrangler Riggs cargo pocket work pants, and even in my Cabelas 7" safari shorts with cargo pockets.

The front cargo pockets overlaps the lower half of the front slit pocket and really breaks up any printing. And the pickets on both are so deep it stays concealed. The pocket holster further breaks up printing. I found the Carhart work pants have way too small of pockets.

Does not work for my Wrangler jeans though. Then I use IWB or pocket carry a P3 AT.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:54 AM   #17
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs97 View Post

As far as recalls and such, Glock had its share of problems. Nothing is perfect.
Yep. My wife's gen 4 Glock 19 had a RSA recall, then we had to ship the frame back to Glock for the ejector recall. Finally, she has a pistol that doesn't stove pipe, or hit her in the mouth with brass.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:55 AM   #18
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike View Post
I can put a Glock 19 in my pocket. But everyone around me will see that there is a Glock 19 in my pocket.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:27 AM   #19
kcub

Don't have a shield but do have a g26 and a Walther PPS. I wear pleated Docker type pants and usually can get away with the pps (unless the pocket is really short).

For the g26 I have to upsize the pants. Rarely does it make the cut.

On the weekend I carry an HK P2000SK in baggie shorts.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Revoltella

It's not uncommon for me to pocket carry my 26, front pocket of jeans. Lately I've been carrying a revolver there, typically a Colt DS, so I don't see the width of the 26 as a problem. Longer grips would be more of an issue for me than the 1/8th of an inch or so difference in width between the 26 and the Shield.
Old September 24, 2013, 11:00 AM   #21
peacefulgary

It's not just the bulk of the G26 that makes it suck for pocket carry, it's also the weight:

26.12 oz loaded
And swinging with every step you take.

That's heavier than TWO 12 oz sodas in your pocket.

This is why the little poly- frame 380 pistols are so easy to pocket carry...
Not only are they less bulky, but they weigh around 12 oz. fully loaded.

PG

Last edited by peacefulgary; September 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old September 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #22
Joe_Pike

Well, I don't own either one at the moment and would probably never opt for the Shield since I have a Kahr P9 and CM9. I just find myself lately wanting something with a higher capacity than my 642 that I usually carry. And, yes, I do know that both of my Kahrs hold a bit more than the 642, but six more is significant. I have loked at G26s before but the chunkiness has kept me from picking one up. Eleven rounds sure would be nice though.