The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
highvel

Rocky Mountain Reloading .45 Bullets

Anyone use the 185 gr. JHP bullets?
How are they as far as accuracy and expansion go?

Thanks

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 4, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
ljnowell

RMR jacketed bullets are actually made by montana gold. RMR sells them cheaper than Montana Gold does, in most cases. I use the 357 125gr JHP from them. The company owner is a member of THR, his username is longdayjake. He is a good guy and will answer any questions you may have. He is also an active member of the board that posts daily. I should add that when I order I recieve my bullets in three business days, and thats from Idaho to Illinois.

Basically, I would whole heartedly recommend him and his bullets. Although, the JHPs made by montana gold are not known for exceptional expansion.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
jeffreybehr

lj, what's 'THR'?

RMR's 200g. .45 plated RNs are somewhat less expensive ($17/2K) than Midway's Rainiers in bulk; I may try them. Thx, hivel.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
grubbylabs

The High Road is what THR is. I have some 230 grn hollow points from him and they seen to do just fine. But I am new to reloading and am still working on my load to get the most accurate load. His customer service for me has been exceptional.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 5, 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Longdayjake

The jacketed bullets I sell are indeed Montana Gold. The important thing to remember about them is that they are "bulk" bullets. They will expand as reliably as other bullets in the same price range, but they should not be compared to more expensive defense rounds like Cor-Bon or the like. I have had customers tell me that they expand better than Golden Sabres but I have no personal experience with Golden Sabres so take that for what its worth. One thing I have personally witnessed with any bullet that isn't bonded is that some of them strip the jacket.

So, if you are looking for a premium defense bullet you will probably have to pay a premium price, but if you are looking for a reasonable defense bullet that you can also afford to practice with I would feel okay recommending the 185 grain 45. Thanks for your interest and thanks for the good feedback!
Old April 6, 2010, 05:23 AM   #6
sourdough44

I don't really think a hollow point in the 45 is all that big of a deal. I know they can look a little cooler. I do load & shoot some plated RN bullets in the 45 though, 200 grain is what I have. With the expansion you would have less penetration. Reliability of feeding is my #1 priority, cost can also factor in. I'm not saying that HPs can't feed, just keeping it simple.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Fullthrottle

I cannot comment on the .45 as I do not load for that caliber. I have, however purchased .38/.357 in 158gr from RMR and have loaded them with good results. Price was good and service was great. I still use RMR and recommend them for plinking. As Jake stated if you want Cor-Bon, buy Cor-Bon, but if you want a good price for practice or basic SD.......go for it!
Old April 7, 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
highvel

Thanks for the info, I'll send you an order Longdayjake.
I am not using them for HD, I only run factory built ammo for carry etc. I dont want too many variables if the situation every arises!
I wanted to know about the expansion because they seem to be easier on my steel targets than FMJ and I dont peronally like shootin lead.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 7, 2010, 08:41 PM   #9
grubbylabs

Just shot about 50 of them, they shot really well. Looking to reload about the same as soon as possible.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)