The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Would or Do you Open Carry in Public?
Yes 174 41.93%
No 114 27.47%
It depends 127 30.60%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 29, 2008, 08:18 PM   #76
Beansie_Time

I answered yes because I have open carried....but very rarely as I prefer people not know I'm carrying.
Old June 30, 2008, 12:55 AM   #77
Stevie-Ray

I voted yes, because if it were fashionable in Michigan, there would be times when it would be a lot more comfortable. Biking, for example. In a way, I open carry when doing that now, but a safety vest mostly covers it at night. If I biked in the daytime, you'd probably be able to see the G26 through the holes in the vest. There are other times when I definitely would.
Old June 30, 2008, 06:06 AM   #78
Keltyke

The advantage to concealed carry is surprise. The down-side is it's slower to bring into play.

The advantage of open carry is it sends a message to the perp, "If you want me, you're gonna have to work for it." The disadvantage is some people may object to a gun right next to them in a restaurant.
Old June 30, 2008, 08:37 AM   #79
GPossenti

I open carried for the first time last night. My wife and I took the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. We passed some neighbors and ten minutes later saw a police car zoom down our street as we approached from a cross street.

We kept walking.
Old June 30, 2008, 05:51 PM   #80
seeker_two

It depends.....on what "open carry" and "concealed carry" are defined as.....

I see "open carry" as a way to wedge out the CHL permit (and cost to exercise a SCOTUS-affirmed RKBA) system and have a Vermont-style carry (concealed or open) in Texas. After all...if you're carrying concealed & no one sees it, no biggie. If it's exposed, it's now open carry....
Old July 4, 2008, 02:04 AM   #81
.300H&H

I wouldn't open carry to the new job interview!

I wouldn't open carry on a blind date.

I wouldn't open carry to the prom.

I wouldn't open carry to the policeman's ball.

There's a lot of places I'd wouldn't want to open carry.

So much in life is unpredictable, I prefer to not handicap myself even moreso by openly carrying a firearm.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:49 AM   #82
Yellowfin

It's a means to an end, just like a tool in the toolbox: works for when it's applicable, useless when it doesn't fit. If I don't have a CCW that works where I am but can OC there, you bet your kiester I'm OC'ing because given the choice between OC or leave it at home it'll be OC every time.
Old July 4, 2008, 12:44 PM   #83
BikerRN

I voted "it depends" but for me I really can't see a reason to Open Carry.

The reason I like Open Carry is because it makes "printing" less of a legal issue, not because I like to carry a gun in the open. It's been my expirience that people from Texas and Florida are almost paranoid about "printing". Of course Open Carry is illegal there. People in AZ and GA don't care so much about "printing" because Open Carry is legal there.

That's my $0.02.

Biker
Old July 4, 2008, 01:02 PM   #84
MeekAndMild

I answered that it depends. I don't open carry where I think the practice could be construed as being impolite.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:08 PM   #85
Frank Ettin
Staff

When I can legally carry, I much prefer to conceal my weapon. I think that my being armed is no one's business, and I also think that not advertising the fact gives me a tactical advantage. I may carry openly, where legal, if I'm out in the country. Also, if I'm somewhere open carry is legal, I'm not going to go though contortions to hide my roscoe if I'm getting out of the car to pump gas or the like.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:18 PM   #86
freakshow10mm

Yes and I do open carry.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:45 PM   #87
Sixer

It is legal here in Missouri but OC is not something I would want to practice on a regular basis. I don't think I would make it too far walking into Wal-Mart, the mall, Target, any restaurant, etc. with a gun on my belt. Even though it may be legal, the hassle you may run into @ most public places would not be worth it. I would rather keep it concealed for the most part.

On the other hand, if its late and I need to run an errand or something, I would definitely consider OC. I dont buy into the "compromising the element of surprise" bit regarding CCW. Im not looking to surprise a would be criminal by pulling a gun from under my shirt. I would rather have it in clear view for any BG's to see. Why wait for a situation that requires you to "reveal" your firearm (surprise!). If that situation could be avoided by simply having it in plain sight, without making anyone else nervous or suspicious, then I am all for it.

Basically, keep it hidden during my normal daytime activities and keep it visible after dark.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:50 PM   #88
huchahuchax

I voted yes, but the more I think about it I guess it depends. I work on a military base, so I can't carry at all throughout most of the day. I have a concealed carry permit, but don't carry as often as people think I do - so I can see the advantages of concealed carry. But I must admit that if open carry was an option for me then I probably would carry at every chance - most likely a variation of concealed carry (gun covered but printing like crazy!). However, it would be a real temptation for me not to get a gunslingers holster and have a single action .45LC hanging low on my hip during the most inappropriate occasions. What can I say, that is just the way my sense of humor runs.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:02 PM   #89
CajunBass

Yep. I do all the time. Nobody has ever said anything but "Can I do that too?" Or something along those lines.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 4, 2008, 03:06 PM   #90
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Im not looking to surprise a would be criminal by pulling a gun from under my shirt. I would rather have it in clear view for any BG's to see. Why wait for a situation that requires you to "reveal" your firearm (surprise!). If that situation could be avoided by simply having it in plain sight, without making anyone else nervous or suspicious, then I am all for it.
You may not buy it, but there have been real world situations where the ability to choose the time/place to respond has made a difference. I listed several on page 3 (post #72) of this thread.
Old July 4, 2008, 03:13 PM   #91
huchahuchax

I buy it. There are X-factors with everything though. It would be interesting to see the statistics of how many crimes were delayed in open carry states, where the silly SOB with cowboy gun hanging off his hip was allowed to leave before the crime was committed
Old July 4, 2008, 03:16 PM   #92
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I could in florida I would and likely everywhere I went.
Brent
Old July 4, 2008, 03:24 PM   #93
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the statistics of how many crimes were delayed in open carry states, where the silly SOB with cowboy gun hanging off his hip was allowed to leave before the crime was committed
Even if you could find statistics like this, they would actually prove that OC doesn't prevent crime, it only postpones it. The reason you won't find statistics on OC crime prevention is that a miniscule percentage of the population OCs, even where it's legal. Not nearly enough to generate any useful statistics.
Old July 4, 2008, 04:40 PM   #94
huchahuchax

Indeed. But I have to question whether it is the roll of the gun carrier to fight crime. I would argue that once the general public learns that flashing a gun will delay the gun crime until no guns are present, everyone will start carrying guns. This is becoming a cliche, but look at Israel. Israel has some really horrendous crimes: suicide bombings and missle attacks. You rarely hear about gun fights though, because to start a gun fight in Israel is just a damned silly way to commit suicide. Soldiers carry automatic weapons while off duty and over half the population has had firearm training.
I don't want to see the U.S. get to the point where suicide bombing is commonplace, but I don't know if it is so bad to have law abiding citizens flexxing their muscles by showing their guns at least as much as the bad guys show theirs.
Old July 5, 2008, 02:00 AM   #95
Sixer

Quote:
Even if you could find statistics like this, they would actually prove that OC doesn't prevent crime, it only postpones it.
I'm ok with that. Criminals are going to commit crimes, thats what they do. If I can postpone a crime by having a firearm visible, and it keeps me out of a bad situation, I would consider that a success.

Lets say Im in a parking garage, late at night, walking to my car. To a BG Im just a regular joe whom he might consider a target. What he doesnt know is that Im carrying a concealed firearm. In order for him to find this out I would have to be in a life threatening situation. Not to sound like a wuss, but I would like to avoid any life threatening situations whenever possible!

If that BG were to see that same regular joe, with a big gun, in a parking garage, he might decide to pick a different target. Life threatening situation avoided

I personally dont open carry, but more times than not I think you would be better off having your weapon visible as to discourage any potential BG's. That being said, I definitely see certain situations where the element of surprise could be key.

So what is the best solution? Simple... one on the belt and one in the boot. Best of both worlds. If your OC gun is not enough of a deterrent or gets taken, you still have the element of surprise on your side. 2 = 1 and 1 = none.. or something like that
Old July 5, 2008, 05:16 PM   #96
FLA2760

JohnKSa wrote,"Not legal here but it would be rare that I would do so even if I could. I like being able to control who knows I carry. In fact, I like being able to control who knows I own guns".

A BIG +1 to that.
However I voted "it depends". The reason being that OC is illegal here in Florida and although I will continue to CCW it would be nice if any part of my gun inadvertently became visible that I would not lose my CCW.
Old July 5, 2008, 06:02 PM   #97
gunsrtools

One reason to carry open is:

If we do not exercise our rights..we will lose them.

so, if your state allows open carry....would be good to occasionally do so.

Bob in NH
Old July 5, 2008, 08:30 PM   #98
JayCee

Probably not, but I don't like to be told I can't...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old July 6, 2008, 11:05 AM   #99
thomp830

Open or Not

I think the obvious plan would be

1) Carry open around your own farm/ranch/hunting, etc...

2) Carry concealed in public. Remember, you want the element of surprise. The first guy to be shot in a bank robbery will be the one wearing a gun on his hip- since he's the obvious danger to the robbers.

There's a nostalgic, romantic image to carrying open/cowboy style- but until everyone else is doing it you will look like a threat the rest of the people (who will be calling 911 everytime they see you with a gun). It also lets the bad guys know that
a) you are a danger and they must deal with YOU first.
and b) you have a gun that they can take (after they kill you)
Don't think that you can shoot the bad guy before he can shoot you. I don't care how good you might be with your gun! Don't forget, he already knows that he's going to shoot you. He will plan out his attack and you will never see it coming. He will have the jump on you and you'll never get your gun out. On the other hand, if he doesn't even know that you're armed- YOU have the jump on HIM. The best plan is to be a hidden danger.
Old July 6, 2008, 11:22 AM   #100
novaDAK

I voted yes, because Open Carry is my only option if I want to be armed. I'm in that awkward age, old enough to own a handgun but not old enough to get a CHP in my state. When I turn 21 I will get my CHP, and carry concealed or openly depending on when/where I am.

Whether you like OC or not, gun owners should support every mode of carry. People who support CC and not OC are no different than 'hunters' who don't care what gun control laws are passes as long as they can have their single-shot rifle or shotgun with their 'permits' to do so.

Gun owners need to stick together...if we don't, we can kiss our gun rights goodbye....just look at what happened in the UK.
Closed Thread