The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1
mattL46

22-K Hornet advice

Hello all. Just acquired my K hornet. Its a beautiful custom low wall. Super proud of it. Belonged to my grandfather. Anyhow...I've had some minor experience with this cartridge before in this rifle long before it became mine. I remember shooting it years ago and upon fire forming a small percentage of cases were destroyed. I know this to be a notorious problem with the k hornet. I also just Friday shot 5 and lost one to a split at the shoulder. There are a lot of mixed opinions on how to reduce brass loss and or remedy this. What is your opinion. What works best for you? Try a high quality virgin brass? Anneal before fire forming? The brass I used Friday was once fired and it was a starting load. Don't remember specifics with out digging out my records but positive it was starting load. Thanks in advance!!!
Old November 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I haven't done many of mine yet either but I had some issues with virgin 460 S&W cases cracking the case mouths on initial belling, I put the rest in a cake pan with enough water in it to cover 3/4 of the cases & heated each case a set time ( 10-12 seconds in the case of the 460 cases ), with a propane torch... I wouldn't be afraid to do that before loading form loads in the Hornet...

some brass will be more brittle than others... you may find some that needs no annealing ( unfortunately there's not a lot of Hornet brass around ) you didn't mention the brand you were using, but I know there is some Mag Tech brass floating around, & that's one of the brands I find particularly brittle...

I also avoid brass that has a crimp ring at the base of the bullet...

I have formed several hundred 17 K Hornet, & found annealing helped a lot with all brands of brass tried... one must be careful not to make them too soft though... I'm just getting started on the 22 K Hornets
Old November 17, 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

I've fire formed several hundred K-Hornet cases and never lost one in the process. Always use new brass and Privi brass seems to be the best Hornet cases on the market today.

Also I didn't go K-Hornet for a hotter load. I always use the standard Hornet load data. I went with the K to improve case life and maybe accuracy too...

Tony
Old November 17, 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
mattL46

Thanks fellas. I'll take this advice. Geezer where do you get your virgin brass? Online?
Old November 17, 2014, 11:39 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

Matt, you can order Prvi brass from Graf & Sons, it's somewhat reasonable in price.
Old November 17, 2014, 01:20 PM   #6
mattL46

Thank you Kilimanjaro!!
Old November 17, 2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Geezerbiker

Yes, what Kilimanjaro said... I used to by it by the bag at the gun shop but I haven't seen any locally in a few years. My last few hundred cases game from Grafs.

Tony
Old November 17, 2014, 10:10 PM   #8
mattL46

Sweet. I'll get on it soon. The brass I'm using is ppu. Seems kinda cheesy. But I'm no brass expert.