The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 21, 2015, 07:24 AM   #1
SARuger

My "new to me" Remy Model 41 Targetmaster

I have been on the search for a single shot .22 bolt gun for fun, maybe a match or two, and something to teach first time shooters how to safely shoot a rifle that has more class than a cricket.

I had found many Winnie Model 67's around town and a couple of Stevens/Savage single shot rifles but they just didn't interest me.

On Friday I walked into my favorite local gun shop and asked if they had any single shot .22 bolt guns and the owner asked me to wait a minute, went to his office, walked out with this Targetmaster.

It needs a little work on the stock but the blueing is very good, maybe 97-98%. It has the peep sights from the factory and even has the extra aperture. This is a Model 41P.

I'm cleaning it today and headed to the range! I can't wait to shoot this neat old rifle!

Old June 21, 2015, 09:09 AM   #2
SARuger

I just got done with a thorough cleaning. After pulling the bolt I found a heavily leaded barrel just past the chamber. About 20 swipes with a brush and 25 or so with a jag it looks good as new, very crisp rifling! Not bad for a rifle that is pushing 80 years old! The stories it could tell. I wonder how many squirrel, rabbit and ground hogs this old gun has dispatched over the years?

The only thing that is missing is one of the screws that holds the "zero" plate for the windage adjustment on the peep. I'm sure once I find what size it is I can find a replacement, its just a normal screw.

I cant wait to shoot it!
Old June 21, 2015, 05:57 PM   #3
SARuger

It shoots nice! 25 yards, front rest, Winchester Super X HP's. First time to the range. i will put it on the lead sled and dial it in at 50 and 75 next trip. Very happy so far.

Old June 21, 2015, 10:36 PM   #4
markallen

I still have, and shoot my 41P that my Dad bought in 1936, and handed down to me.
It's the most accurate .22 that I have ever shot.
Enjoy, the Targetmaster are great rifles.
Old June 22, 2015, 08:43 AM   #5
SARuger

Thanks I will! It does not like standard velocity ammo though, only HV.