The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 11, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Jerry11826

Repair or replace

I have a Model 60-4, 3", 38 Spec. the has a lot of "end shake". Maybe 3/16ths. of an inch. I bought it used and have fired it a lot. All light loads. 2.8 grns of Bullseye under a 158 grn round nose cast bullet.

I am getting unreliable ignition using Wolf primers. Federals work ok. Also the trigger pull changes. I think the cylinder may be rubbing on the barrel.

I am pretty sure the gun is not under S&W life time repair policy.

Have been thinking of returning it to S&W for repair. That would cost $100 - $150 just for freight. Then there is the cost of the repair.

Would you have it repaired or just toss it in the dumpster and buy a new pistol?

I like 3" J frame Smith's. I use it to shoot in a local "Concealed Carry" match. I definately want to have one of this model. Perfect revolver! Relatively light and accurate. Shoots good. With "outlaw" 38 loadings has just about the power of a 357.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old September 11, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Don P

I have to ask where you live that shipping is going to be $100-150? Possible local gunsmith? Fix and NEVER throw it away.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 11, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I have to ask where you live that shipping is going to be $100-150?
If you're planning to pay for shipping and insurance for the replacement value of the gun both ways, I'm sorry to tell you that's by no means an unheard of cost anywhere in the U.S.A.
Old September 11, 2010, 04:44 PM   #4
shepherddogs

Take it to your local FFL. They can ship USPS insured for probably $25. My experience with S&W CS has been outstanding. I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed it for free. Also Wolf products are not known for outstanding quality. It's probably the worst choice of components available.
Old September 11, 2010, 04:48 PM   #5
sw282

Call Smith & Wesson. Ask them for a "prepaid" label. That way you get their discount price for shipping. Or use a gunshop. They can ship USPS which is only maybe $30 round trip
Old September 11, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
seeker_two

I'd let your local gunsmith have a go at it first. You may come out better off, and you'll help your local economy....
Old September 11, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Nomadicone

Endshake is easy to fix and any local gunsmith worth his salt can fix it at very little cost. Heck you may want to tackle it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYzA...eature=related
Old September 11, 2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Bullseye Smith

Call Brownells and ask for some cylinder shims for the "J" frame and add till you get 4 to .006 barrel gap and the correct head space.Should be less than $30 bucks to do it.
Old September 12, 2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Jerry11826

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I didn’t realize this was an easy fix.

About the shipping, I sent an old Colt Officers Model to “Cylinder and Slide” for repair. A requirement of the shipping was “overnight delivery”. It cost about $75.00 from Tampa, Florida to Nebraska. C&S charged me about $55.00to ship it back to me.

I will take it to a local “smith” and ask him to make the repair. It is hard to find a gunsmith in Tampa, Florida. Check the yellow pages or “on-line”, very little shows. If his estimate is over $250.00 I think I will “dumpster” the pistol. Who wants to pay $400.00 to get an old gun repaired, when you can buy a new pistol for $652.00, and the new one has a “life time warranty” .

Thanks again for your responses!

Jerry
Old September 12, 2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Casimer

If it's too much, transfer it to someone who wants it, don't just throw it away. It could get into the wrong hands.
Old September 12, 2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Bullseye Smith

Even a bad smith should be able to fix it for less than $100 buck, and fix it right.
Old September 12, 2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Jim Watson

3/16" of END SHAKE? THREE SIXTEENTHS? .1875"?

There is not that much room to spare in a reasonably sound revolver frame.
The topstrap would have to be badly stretched ffrom those "outlaw loads."

You should be able to see rub marks or a lack of gap if the cylinder is rubbing the barrel breech.

I'd see if S&W would send a call tag or if your FFL would ship it for you on his business contract. You DO support your local dealer, don't you? If so, maybe he will support you.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Scout1

As a gunsmith, I have repaired more guns than I can remember, so unless your S&W revolver was tested in the Nevada Desert during a discreet nuclear testing phase, it can be repaired and if it did cost between 100-150 including parts/total overhaul, it would still be worth it. Have you priced good; and I mean good quality guns built today. The way they were built less than 40 years ago was better accidently than they are today on purpose.
Old September 15, 2010, 10:39 AM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Jim Watson is right. 3/16" is an unbelievable amount of endshake and I would even think of things like the gun having the wrong cylinder. Shims will not work because they just push the cylinder back. That may solve the misfiring (headspace) problem but will open the barrrel-cylinder gap to an unacceptable amount.

Yes, send the gun back to S&W. I wouldn't even bother with a local gunsmith.

Jim
Old September 15, 2010, 11:20 AM   #15
FlyFish

I agree with those who think that 3/16ths seems an impossibly large amount of endshake. It might be worth taking the gun to a local smith just to make sure you're measuring things right (no offense intended). If it is really that large, then it sounds like something the factory should take a look at. Typical endshake, say in the several thousandths range or a bit more, is a simple thing for any smith worthy of the name to correct - mine charges me $25 to take care of it.

Last edited by FlyFish; September 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:31 AM   #16
AKsRul.e

"Would you have it repaired or just toss it in the dumpster and buy a new pistol?

I like 3" J frame Smith's. I use it to shoot in a local "Concealed Carry" match. I definately want to have one of this model.
What would you do?"
-------------
I'm also a big J frame fan.

IMHO I would sell it off Cheap ,BUT WITH FULL DISCLOSURE to the buyer.

Then I would buy the gun I wanted.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #17
BODAME

Before you toss it

Take it to a Good Honest Smith for a opinion, might surprise you.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:05 PM   #18
temmi

I would get it fixed....
Old September 15, 2010, 02:54 PM   #19
Jerry11826

Sorry I stated the end shake was 3/16th. I measured again, it somewhere between 1/16th and 1/8th. After all the nice feed back, I am going to try to take it to a gun smith this weekend. If he wants less than $400.00 for the repair I will probably get it fixed.

If not a couple of responders sent me PMs wanting to purchase the pistol. If the repair is $400+ I will get in touch with you and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks again for the responses.

Jerry