The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
stargazer65

My used Remington 1100 20 gauge

Hi, I'm looking for advice and general knowledge about this used shotgun from anyone who is familiar with the model. The one I aquired is serial number 1126625X, it has a 28" barrel with a vented rib and the letters MOD engraved (modified choke?) The dealer said it was "a heavy frame 20 gauge so it takes 12 gauge parts" (his quote, not mine).

Anyway, it was gorgeous, felt great when I shot it so I bought it on impulse.

My specific question: Where could I find other barrel(s) if I want them or need to replace, I assume new model barrels won't necessarily fit.

This is my first gun that I actually own and any other info about parts etc...would be appreciated!
Old April 11, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings, stargazer65, and welcome aboard.

Yes, it's a modified choke. You can have screw-in chokes retrofitted.
Why assume a new 20-ga barrel won't fit? Try a borrowed factory barrel, and check it out.
Old April 11, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
stargazer65

Hi and thanks Zippy.

Regarding the barrel, I found this disclaimer on the Remington website when I researched factory replacement barrels.

"IF YOUR MODEL 1100 OR 870 20 GAUGE HAS A SERIAL NUMBER ENDING IN THE LETTER ā€œXā€ OR ā€œNā€, CURRENTLY PRODUCED 20 GAUGE BARRELS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE."

Mine ends in X so I assume a new barrel won't fit.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:18 PM   #4
dalecooper51

It's a 20 ga built on a 12 ga frame. IIRC, Remington stopped doing this sometime around 1977 or so. They are sweet shooting guns and I love mine. Extra barrels are rare as hens teeth. If you can't live with a modified choke, your best bet would be to have it cut for choke tubes. You would likely spend as much for an extra barrel as you did for the whole gun.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
stargazer65

This is good info, thanks Dale

It is a sweet shooting gun. In the Navy I had to shoot remmington and mossberg pump 12 gauges. I'm not knocking them, they were fine firearms. But they felt harsh and unrefined compared to this one which feels like an extension of my body. I don't know how to describe it otherwise.

So can I buy 12 gauge gas cylinder rings for this since it has a 12 gauge frame?
Old April 11, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
dropthehammer

Damn....... you stumped Zippy, ( he's my hero by the way, one of the smartest shotgun guys on this site in my opinion ). Let me share what I remember about the 1100 20ga, someone please correct me if I am wrong. The first 1100 20ga's produced were made on the 12ga frame. On these model guns, the tang on the barrel ( the part that goes into the receiver ) is long, just like a 12ga 1100. This is the model the poster of this thread has and the serial # will end in an X or an N, just as he stated. The second issue 20ga 1100's were called LW's. The tang on the barrel of these guns was short and stubby, very similar to an 870. The barrels on this model were marked LW. The third issue 1100's, were called LT's ( I believe these are current production). This model also has a long tang like the first issue, but the barrels are marked LT. Although this model has the long tang like the first issue, the barrels are much smaller in diameter, and will not interchange with the first issue. Remington also produced a Special Field 20ga 1100 for a few years. these barrels are marked Special Field. They also had a long tang like the first and third issue, but the magazine ring is closer to the chamber. WHEW, thats alot of typing for 2 fingers. If I confused anyone, I apologize, but I am pretty sure this is correct if my memory has not completely failed me.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:21 AM   #7
stargazer65

Thanks...OK, I think I think I have the jist of this pieced together now. Apparently I have a model 1100 20 gauge STANDARD WT. It looks like I can use the gas cylinder seals/orings for a 12 gauge, but if I want a new barrel I'll have to pay some bucks.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8
ShotgunBob12bore!

Remington barrels

Love my standard weight 20 ga. These guns were made back the sixties. The major differenece between them and the 20 LWT barrels is the magazine tube and the mounting ring welded to the barrel. The ring slips over the magazine tube. It is my understanding that the early guns were made from excess 12 ga stock parts ( including the magazine tube) in that Remington wasn't quite sure the 20 ga version would catch on.
A 20ga LWT barrel will not fit on a Standard weight gun. Also, the modified 28" lg barrel is too thin to Remchoke. But I understand there have been some that have been cut down to 21" length and cylinder bore by 'Unigue guns and Collectibles.
Let me know if/when you want to sell yours, as I may need another.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Annie O

Annie O

Know only the shotguns in my own house...do you know anything about a
.25 fie titan?
Old October 29, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Huntergirl

The FIE part of it doesn't sound good... if memory serves, that company produced some cheap, not so good guns.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:46 PM   #11
roy reali

re:stargazer65

What do you intend to use that shotgun for? I have an 11-87 in 20 gauge that uses choke tubes. I use it mainly for unpland birds. I was in a Cabela last year and I wanted to buy another choke tube. The salesman asked me what I was using the gun for. He said the modified choke i had in it would ake care of most of my shooting needs. He even told me to save the new choke tube money.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:00 PM   #12
tandom

My son has an 1100 standard wt 20ga with a 26" Imp vent barrel. It's good for alot of uses he also has a 22" slug barrel for deer hunting. His wife uses it alot because of the light recoil. There are not many if any shotguns like it made today to compare with.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:36 PM   #13
nutty ned

I'd call Remington customer service for the O-ring question.
1-800-243-9700
Old October 30, 2009, 09:16 PM   #14
stargazer65

Wow, I'd forgotten about this old thread until ShotgunBob12bore! resurrected it! I still have the shotgun with 28" modified choke for shooting clays, I like it and don't intend to sell it. I may get a 22" barrel with rifle sights for it one of these days(expensive), but I'm saving my money for a twirlie and a slider right now.