The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 15, 2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Dboy007

Gun law in GA for 18 year olds owning a handgun

I'm pretty confused about the handgun minimum age for ownership in GA. What I do know is that you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFl but Ive heard you only have to be 18 to purchase through a private transaction. I've searched the ATF site, the Ga layman's terms for gun laws, and the internet in general but cant seem to find a clear cut answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason I want a handgun is because I'm 18 and would like to join an IPSC league but that's pretty hard to do if you don't have anything to shoot with.Also can I get a handgun from a private dealer at a gun show?
Old June 15, 2013, 04:04 AM   #2
JimmyR

This one was kinda hard to find, but after searching around, I think this question has been answered in this thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...a+purchase+ccw

In short, you are able to purchase a gun from a GA resident if you are over 18+. It doesn't matter if it's at a gun show or not. You can meet a private individual in a WalMart parking lot, and you can find a table at a gun show run by an FFL. I suggest looking on local forums, Facebook groups, and Armslist for a f2f purchase.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
you can find a table at a gun show run by an FFL.
Not true. An FFL is forbidden from transferring handguns to buyers under 21.

That's a restriction on the conduct of dealers, but not a ban on ownership. A person can own a handgun at 18.
Old June 15, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
BarryLee

For future reference check out handgunlaw.us they guy is a member here and works very hard to keep his information up to date.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 17, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Not true. An FFL is forbidden from transferring handguns to buyers under 21.

That's a restriction on the conduct of dealers, but not a ban on ownership. A person can own a handgun at 18.

That's what I was trying to say, I guess I just said it poorly.
Old June 18, 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Water-Man

Spend some time on:

GeorgiaCarry.org
GeorgiaPacking.org
Old June 18, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I can't believe that I missed this one. Given that the question asked is about the law in GA, I'm going to ship this thread down to L&CR.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Thirty+ years ago, when I was sixteen, I carried a pistol coon hunting, but the way we did it, it was in my fathers name. At the time, ownership was 18 also. Once I was 18, it was turned over to me. Ohio law is the same, on purchasing, 21 from a FFL.