The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 14, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
GGG210

New NJ Gun Owner Questions

Hello as the title states i am about to become a proud new gun owner. But before i dive into the great world of guns and my 2nd amendment right to own a gun i do have a couple of questions.

Now i am not a complete newbie but im pretty green when it comes to guns and things like this. So here is a little bit of background.

I grew up around guns on my fathers side. his whole family was big into hunting and all of that. That was a trait which my parents did not share, unfortunately, as a result i was not truly brought up with guns known in the family.

Like most kids growing up i had a fascination with guns, big guns, i love the AR15 long riffles and i personally dream of one day owning a barrett 50 cal. Long shot i know but i think that gun is a thing of beauty, not exactly practical but i digress.

Now i am from NJ which brings up a whole bunch of new issues as far as legalities and what i can and cannot own. This is where my questions come from. To start i plan on getting a 9mm hand gun and perhaps a .22 long rifle but i know how i am and that is not going to be the end of this journey. I want big guns.

I understand that this is going to sound absurd and ludicrous, i get it, but its not. I firmly believe that under the 2nd amendment i am legally allowed to obtain any gun i so choose to have.

My question is am i going to have issues when i go to purchase something like a Bushmaster c15 m4?? It was my understanding that the assault weapons ban was nullified in 2011 and, obviously, has not been re enacted so there for such a gun as the afore mentioned Bushmaster is legal. But i have seen else where online that in new jersey i cannot own such.

SOME PLEASE CLARIFICATION!!!!!!!!
Old June 14, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, GGG210!

I don't have the answer to your questions, but I am going to ship this thread down to Law & Civil Rights.
Old June 14, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
GGG210

Thanks a bunch

ahh great thank you very much... seriously any help on this topic would be incredibly appreciated and i apologize if i posted this in the wrong place.... very new here lol
Old June 14, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
NJgunowner

Let me break it down for you a bit.

Anything semi auto that has more than 15 rounds = NO
Semi auto with pistol grip and flash suppressor = NO
Semi auto with adjustable stock = NO
M1 Carbine in any form = NO

That ar you have in your post is not New Jersey legal. Has nothing to do with an "assault weapons ban" but NJ's evil features list . You can only have one.

Pistol grip = evil
flash suppressor = evil
bayonet lug = evil
You get the idea.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
GGG210

leave it to jersey

so basically i cant have one because it CAN have all of those things even though it doesnt..... what the f in f lol... so basically im stuck with hand guns and hunting rifles which i cant even hunt with haha

why does bullseyetacticalsupply list bushmasters and what not as items they sell when they are a "nj" company..... and those items cant be owned in the state
Old June 14, 2013, 02:13 PM   #6
NJgunowner

You can own it fine if it DOESN'T have them, which that model DOES.

That ar15 you listed HAS a flash suppressor and adjustable stock. In NJ that means NO. And Bullseye can sell them fine to people out of state, just not to you.

They make NJ legal models of the ar15, that just isn't one of them. What they can do is Pin the stock to a fixed length, remove the flash suppressor and weld on a compensator, remove the 30 round magazines for 15 and then it would be legal in NJ.

This one is NJ legal for example.
http://www.bushmaster.com/img/firear..._DCM-XR_A2.jpg

Last edited by NJgunowner; June 14, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
GGG210

okay i see

oh okay okay i appreciate the clarification.... could you possible direct me towards a website which has NJ compliant rifles or should i just head over to the nearest shop to see what they have in stock
Old June 14, 2013, 02:29 PM   #8
diamondd817

Best bet is to visit local gun shops for NJ compliant AR's , handguns, etc.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Skadoosh

Born and raised in NJ. Left and will never return.

NJ-compliant S&W M&P15 Sport AR15: http://www.impactguns.com/sw-mp15-sp...188145670.aspx
Old June 14, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
GGG210

im on my way out in due time

that link is exactly what im talking about lol thanks!! they seriously need to just make a site that breaks everything down by compliance specifically instead of making you go through the blurb about the gun to find out if it is compliant..... huge tease lol
Old June 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #11
diamondd817

You can own an AR 15 like that in NJ. You can have a muzzle brake or compensator on the barrel, it must be permanently attached. You can not have a flash hider. A collapsible stock must be pinned to one position. 15rd mags or less. Barrel length no less than 16" (including compensator). No bayonet lug.

Here is a pic of a NJ compliant DPMS AP4 Carbine with carry handle and without:

Last edited by diamondd817; June 14, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
GGG210

WOW

those are absolutely gorgeous man!

so as long as the stock is pinned solid
no bayonet lug haha
no grenades
and the barrel is compliant
oh and no more then 15 clip mags

i can have a bushmaster or similar guns?

well thats quite the list of cannots

surprised things like scopes, lasers and lights arent on that list as well or are they haha
Old June 14, 2013, 05:59 PM   #13
diamondd817

Yes, you can have any brand AR as long as its NJ compliant. I found the easiest way to buy NJ compliant AR's is local NJ gun shops. That's the only kind they stock and will sell. Takes all the guess work out of the legal bs. Most NJ shops are light on AR's right now because of all this gun control hoopla, but you can still find a few.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
GGG210

indeed

yeah i figured as much as far as being light on quantity.... now this might seem like a stupid question but i guess its something that i should ask now instead of later

if i go ahead and buy a non NJ compliant AR on a site like tacticalsupply or something like that can i have my local gun shop, the shop that would be dealing with the transfer, make the gun state compliant BEFORE i take ownership of the weapon is that allowed?? or is that just like a no from the start lol
Old June 14, 2013, 07:21 PM   #15
NJgunowner

You would have to ask the receiving FFL.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:24 PM   #16
diamondd817

There are shops that will do that for you. You have to confirm with them before you go ordering anything.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
GGG210

okay sweet

alright that works i was hoping that would be the case.... i am fortunate that despite living in n nj i have RTSP pretty close to me..... looks like i have a good bit of stuff to get done this coming week =)

i know there are a good amount of ranges/gun shops down in south jersey but it seems like there are only 2 up in the north.... RTSP and some place in like the kearny area
Old June 14, 2013, 07:45 PM   #18
diamondd817

OK. Im from morris county too. You have bullet hole in Belleville. You have ottamellis in woodland park. You have meltzers in Garfield. Check them all out.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:53 PM   #19
GGG210

oh sweet

ah so there are more places around here then i thought! thats good haha in your experience what has the best range?
Old June 14, 2013, 08:00 PM   #20
diamondd817

Not all of them have ranges. I use rtsp and cherry ridge range. Cherry ridge in highland lakes is an outdoor range and my fav. There is a new gun for hire indoor range in woodland park.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #21
diamondd817

I should also mention. There is the silver bullet gun shop in Rockaway, nj.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:06 PM   #22
GGG210

how far does the cherry ridge range go out to??
Old June 14, 2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Ajtozzi

New NJ Gun Owner Questions

Cherry Ridge goes to 300
yards. I work at RTSP as an RSO Monday and Friday. Say hi when you're there I'm Anthony the bald guy!
Old June 15, 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
war_elephant

Nice pictures of the AR-15 lookalikes. Not to be the one to pee in your cornflakes, but a foregrip is NOT legal on the gun in NJ. It counts as a third item and therefore what you have a picture of there is a NJ Assault weapon. We run into this at our range now and then, and I am repeating what the NJSP firearms unit has relayed to us at the gunshop I work at. Just don't want anyone to have any problems. It counts as a second pistol grip per NJSP, ergo the third item. Remember you can only have 2 in NJ.
I hate this retarded state. House is for sale, will be emigrating to the United States shortly.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:14 PM   #25
diamondd817

War elephant,

Can you please cite the nj statue that makes foregrips illegal? Taking legal advice from cops is usually not a good idea.

Here is 42 forum pages of pictures of NJ legal AR's. Most have foregrips.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.p...cs-lets-seeum/

NJ statues:

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the
firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means
pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means
exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all
material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless
it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.
The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the
firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make
the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a
pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be
"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it
meets the below listed criteria:
i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;

See (2) above! A foregrip does not protrude beneath the action.

Also, a vertical foregrip is not a pistol grip.

Last edited by diamondd817; June 15, 2013 at 06:53 PM.