The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Most of my bullet patching material came from a thrift store that carried pillow ticking by the yard.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:11 PM   #27
Beagle333

Quote:
Does that sound right as it's below the melting point of lead.
Yes. That is why one must be careful to not get their pot too hot when casting with tin/pewter, or it will oxidize to the surface faster than the lead and the caster will skim it off as scum/dross and lose his precious metal. It must be fluxed back into the melt occasionally, rather than skimmed off. So if you are casting bullets with tin/pewter in the mix, try not to get the alloy over 700° for any length of time and you will cast it faster than you are losing any appreciable amount to oxidation.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 26, 2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old March 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

poured nose

Thanks PetahW - I poured a pewter nose years ago and was inclined to do it again for my brother's squirrel rifle.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:13 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I guess you were right after all Hawg._ Pewter is poured over the stock. Who'd ever think it was done that way without cooking the wood. Again I learned something new_
Old March 30, 2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Beagle333

Considerate hubbies do things with their wives......

Oh Dear! The wife awoke this morning and announced that she would like to tour the 3 Thrift stores in the area, looking for a new picture for the wall in her office, and she would like me to accompany her. I reluctantly agreed to this torture, ("*whine* Honey, do I gotta? ") provided that her concession would be that I get tomorrow afternoon to go shooting and can put off chores until later. She agreed. So, I must go do this arduous task of strolling around Thrift stores (oh, the horror!), but in return for my suffering, I do get rewarded later.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pick up pewter Beagle333. I am. Just don't go to my favorite store in Walsenburg.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:21 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bought some screwdrivers for a little over 50 cents apiece. I'm going to forge and hammer them into inletting tools. Cheaper than buying tool steel too.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Beagle333

I scored about 3 pounds worth of picture frames and a mug, for a total of $6.91, so it was worth going. They did have quite a bit of pewter between the 4 stores we stopped at, but it would have averaged out to $8-9 per pound as priced. It would have been worth it if I had been out of tin and needed some, but I was just shopping ahead for deals.
Have a Colt and a smile.