The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2013, 07:41 AM   #26
DaleA

I caught just 10 minutes in the middle of an episode last night and thought it was pretty good. The tie-in to TFL just makes it more appealing.

One of the characters was going around to garage sales (its the episode where one of the garage sales was being hosted by a Jack Sparrow pirate look-a-like) and all the garage sales had guns . I guess that's common in Alaska, sure isn't the norm here (Minn.) I thought it was interesting.

If the universal background check comes about I guess garage sale guns will become a thing of the past even up in Alaska. I admit I'm still a little confused on the universal background check issue .

If I find the time I'll try to watch it again.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:25 AM   #27
TATER

Must Have Been Dark Winter-Time.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:23 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ok that sounds trite. So a .500 Nitro can be a anything you want it to be; varminting round, a plinker, a self-defense rifle? Come on. Explain to me then how a 6lb rifle makes sense for a classic elephant/buffalo cartridge? Would you take that rifle hunting for grizzly, elephant or buffalo? Does it have any of the nostalgia of "just like the famous hunter so and so?" No, it moans "dork."

The young man who bought it did not seem to enjoy getting his shoulder banged up with just one or two shots. That was really an inappropriate platform for that cartridge and it is silly to try to pretend otherwise. I guess you could make a .223 into a 10lb double rifle but why? That would be just as ridiculous.
The cartridge's history means absolutely nothing. The intended purpose and desires of the shooter are all that matter. If you don't like it, that's fine; but your opinion is not the only one that matters.

Being from Oregon, I would expect you to understand the merits of having a lightweight rifle in the mountains. Hiking the back country in Alaska, or even just pursuing Elk in the Rockies, shaving a few pounds off your rifle can make a huge difference. And, if you know the rifle and your quarry well enough, you should only need one shot. If a single-shot rifle isn't good enough for dangerous game, I have no idea how humans ever survived westward expansion of North America during the 1800s, with all the bears, wolverines, wolves, big cats, and angry bison; or how dangerous game hunters ever came home alive from their African hunts with black powder rifles and muzzleloaders....

And, last time I checked, there still weren't wild Buffalo or Elephant in Alaska.

Nostalgia? Since when can we only use cartridges based on their nostalgic appeal and original intent? Again, we'd have a pretty big problem with .30-06... Owners would only be able to have original battle rifles, and proper 'nostalgic' use would require shooting at "Japs", Germans, and Koreans.
.45-70 would take a pretty big hit... Being limited to trap door, rolling block, and falling block rifles, with their primary targets being 'Indians' and Bison.
And, the list goes on...

An "inappropriate" platform to one man, is a perfect platform to another.
On this very forum, we have several owners of 10+ lb .22 LR falling block rifles, we have several members that have Weatherby rifles but only shoot substantially reduced loads in them, we have at least two members that own single-shot TC handguns in .444 Marlin and almost exclusively only shoot shot shells in them, we have several members with TC Encore handguns wearing 10-14" barrels in 7mm Rem Mag(!), we have a couple dozen owners of .50 GI 1911s, we have multiple owners of Coonan 1911s, we have a few dozen people that shoot "dangerous game" cartridges in rifles that weigh as little as 5 lbs, and we have a few hundred owners of Taurus Judges, S&W Governors, and Rossi Circuit Judges.

There are many members that think any one of those is a stupid idea, but the owners have a different opinion. For them, it fulfills a need that no other rifle/cartridge combination could compensate for in a satisfactory manner.

Nostalgia and a cartridge's classical use have very little in common with what it is actually capable of, or what a shooter may want to use it for.

If they get in over their head with excessive recoil, they either didn't do their homework or have poor technique.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Grizz12

I like the show, the characters, Alaska and Phred is a cutie pie, wish I was 20 years younger
Old February 14, 2013, 04:00 PM   #30
SPEMack618

I kinda equate the show to Alaska State Troopers, it is fun to watch to for the scenery.

Guns, high speed chases, and Phred are a nice bonus.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #31
treg

I remember kinda liking the stuff Ken wrote on here.

He's an jerk at the shop though.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:00 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

PHRED PHRED PHRED....
If the only personality on the show were Mr.Phred (Wifey reads this forum at times ) i wouldn't miss an episode... Otherwise... I watched 2 or 3 episodes back to back and got all of the show I ever need or want...

Brent
Old February 14, 2013, 10:34 PM   #33
hagar

Phred is kinda hot, but she would call me grandpa...
Old February 14, 2013, 10:40 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

She could call me chopped liver chop suey and I would be okay with that... 'cuz she is such a great ambassador of the pro gun world...
(howzs that for a quick save of a train headed right off the tracks)...

Brent
Old February 15, 2013, 10:24 AM   #35
steve666

I like Phred.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:46 PM   #36
nate45

Some interesting photos of Ken and the gang on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-W...10532992360444
Old February 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #37
Sodbuster

Haven't seen the show as I am TV-less. Miss Ken on the forum though.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old February 16, 2013, 11:49 AM   #38
Carne Frio

They can't show what really goes on every day up here.
I walked in on a garage sale, next to downtown Fairbanks
and they had ammo and a few guns among all the junk
furniture. The owner was handing out caribou jerky and
muktuk to everyone. Things get even stranger as you get
out of town.They also had an old float plane parked in the
backyard that they had pulled up out of the river. I wouldn't
want to live anywhere else.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:26 PM   #39
erik the bold

Go Phredd!!

Cute and can shoot!

Schedule is here: http://animal.discovery.com/tv-sched...135360.42657.x

Videos are here: http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/wild-west-alaska

"If you think it's wrong to kill someone who is about to kill you, you are too stupid to be allowed to vote"
Old February 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #40
22-rimfire

The show is fun. Ken is quite the character and that personality definitely came out when he was actively contributing to the forum.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:48 PM   #41
Deja vu

Quote:
An "inappropriate" platform to one man, is a perfect platform to another.
On this very forum, we have several owners of 10+ lb .22 LR falling block rifles, we have several members that have Weatherby rifles but only shoot substantially reduced loads in them, we have at least two members that own single-shot TC handguns in .444 Marlin and almost exclusively only shoot shot shells in them, we have several members with TC Encore handguns wearing 10-14" barrels in 7mm Rem Mag(!), we have a couple dozen owners of .50 GI 1911s, we have multiple owners of Coonan 1911s, we have a few dozen people that shoot "dangerous game" cartridges in rifles that weigh as little as 5 lbs, and we have a few hundred owners of Taurus Judges, S&W Governors, and Rossi Circuit Judges.
I see 3 guns that I or my wife shoots on that list.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 18, 2013, 09:55 AM   #42
kraigwy

I like the show.

My favorite (forgot his name) is the old grumpy gunsmith. He won my heart when they left him to run the shop so he locked the door and wouldn't answer the phone because he couldn't get work done.

Looks like most of his wages goes in the swear jar.

My wife watched the show last night and says she's gonna put a swear jar in my shop.

As to the young lady, nice little girl but I have granddaughter's her age. She beats those girls on America Guns by a long shot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 21, 2013, 01:21 AM   #43
nate45

Ken aka WildAlaska and his new hat.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:18 AM   #44
Rifleman1776

I have become a fan of the show. The characters are a hoot. Old man here really enjoys looking at Phred. They had another girl on who bought a rifle. She was so cute my knees got jelly shaky.
The guns are interesting but not insane fakes like the American Guns show.
I'm curious about their (proprietary?) .457WWM. They sell it in a take down lever job. One model is probably the legal minimum for length. It is a guide easy carry back up.
I wonder how it compares to 30-06, .300 mag., .338 win mag., etc. for grizzly stopping.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:30 PM   #45
spacemanspiff

Their website used to show ballistic data on the 457wwg, haven't checked it though in a few years.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #46
SPEMack618

Funny thing...was watching the repeat of the swear job episode, and my sister, who says she can monitor the amount of reloading I've gotten done based on the amount of "damns" says she intends to insitute that policy.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:20 AM   #47
seant

I like the show. I sure do miss Ken's posts. His posts were always interesting.
Wildgonebutnotforgottenalaska......
Old February 23, 2013, 09:22 AM   #48
MLeake

Their .457 is a heated-up .45-70, so it should be no slouch.

As I understand it, the rifles will also accept .45-70. I believe Ken includes 20 rounds of .457 (reusable brass) with the purchase of a rifle.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:42 AM   #49
Skadoosh

Ken was a very smart and colorful member here. It's a shame he got booted from the forum...
Old February 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #50
czf

I think some of us would like to know what guns the cast carries??

Does Ken carry a BHP or a Bren Ten 10? I've also seen him carry a big revolver..shoulder
holster of course.

I'm sure that I'd carry a Glock 10mm and a Ruger or Colt .44 magnum or bigger,
if I lived up there.

A Ruger Alaskan in .454 sounds ideal.

I once owned a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

The .457 magnum would probably be better.
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Closed Thread