The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Comanche

Need a shotgun valued..Ithaca featherlight model 37.

A customer of mine had inherited an Ithaca model 37 .20 ga featherlight shotgun.

it has engraved scenes on both sides of the receiver as well.

He told me it was his Dads and he does not have any idea what it's worth if anything.
I was excited that it was an Ithaca as they are not something you see every day and told him it may be a doozie so I figured I would post and see if I can get any answers.

He said it does not have the red cap under pistol grip area.

SN 371527835
Old January 17, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Virginian

Look on GunBroker at completed auctions for an idea of value. The Ithaca lovers swoon over them, but most of them already have one, and the rest of us think they are nice, but prefer something else. That is likely rollmarking, not engraving. There have been enough made that it is not likely rare.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
PetahW

That Model 37 was made in 1976, and most likely has the normal/standard roll-engraving on the sides.

However, that year Ithaca also made cased Bicentennial Model 37's, which carried real engraving.

The 20ga Model 37's are made on a scaled (small) frame (I have one), and a standard 20ga M37 in primo condition will generally change hands in the neighborhood of $400.

Although several M37 Bicentennials are "priced to sell" in the $1500-$2K area, a few that have actually sold at auction have only brought around $600-$700, aka: reality vs. "pie-in-the-sky".

Last edited by PetahW; January 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
drcook

Here is the link to the serial nbrs/dates on Ithaca's website

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf

The majority of Ithacas had the rolled engraving on the sides of the receivers.

What you also have to find out to help determine worth is what barrel does it have on it ? Vent rib / field barrel. Fixed choke / choke tubes. If interchangeable choke, are they all there, if not what is included.

If it is a primo gun and he is intent on selling it, there are a couple Ithaca devoted forums as well as the standard auction sites.

If you go to gunbroker and do a search using Ith* 37 20* you will pick up the ones that are misspelled as Ithica, instead of Ithaca, 20 ga, 20ga etc.

That mask will work on most, but not all of the auction/listing sites.

Etc.