The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 19, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
lbmcse

Amsec TF6030 Play In The Swing

Just had it installed and I notice that the tri-spoke handle has some play in it. Matter of fact, after I close and lock gently, if I try to turn it hard, it will slip, turning about 120 degrees. I can make it slip both clockwise and counter-clockwise. There's no compromise to the contents of the safe; but every handle I've tried at gun shows is SOLID. Once it's turned to where it stops, IT STOPS.

Not the case with my safe.

Not an hour after the delivery guys left, after a call to the company, the delivery guys came back and said, regarding the slip, "Don't do that." They further instructed me to always set the bolts very gently.

I've been looking for whether there's a clutch in this tri-spoke handle, but can't find an answer.

I'm wondering if this is working as designed, or if there's something wrong with my safe.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
a1abdj

Quote:
Just had it installed and I notice that the tri-spoke handle has some play in it.
All safes will have some play in the handle, as you are dealing with two seperate systems. You have the boltwork of the safe, which is controlled by the handle. You then have the bolt of the lock, controlled by the lock. The boltwork of the safe will move as far as the lock will allow it. When the lock is unlocked, it will allow it to move far enough to open. When the lock is locked, it will only allow it to move to where it comes into contact with the lock bolt.

Some play is completely normal. No play is abnormal. Excessive play is abnormal.

Quote:
Matter of fact, after I close and lock gently, if I try to turn it hard, it will slip, turning about 120 degrees. I can make it slip both clockwise and counter-clockwise.
Why would you be trying to turn it hard? I have noticed this on gun safe deliveries. People yank on their safes in ways that they would never yank on their doors, car doors, or anything else. They will slam the door shut in ways they would never slam any other door.

Why do you feel the need to use excessive force on your safe?

Quote:
There's no compromise to the contents of the safe; but every handle I've tried at gun shows is SOLID. Once it's turned to where it stops, IT STOPS.

Not the case with my safe.

Most safes have features built into the boltwork that does not allow excessive pressure on the handle to be transferred to the lock. This is a security feature.

Quote:
Not an hour after the delivery guys left, after a call to the company, the delivery guys came back and said, regarding the slip, "Don't do that." They further instructed me to always set the bolts very gently.
I agree with them. Forcing the handle to the point that it slips is too much force. The more you do it, the looser it will get, and then adjustments may be required.

Quote:
I've been looking for whether there's a clutch in this tri-spoke handle, but can't find an answer.

I'm wondering if this is working as designed, or if there's something wrong with my safe.
The handle is definately designed to slip when too much force is applied.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
lbmcse

Thanks for answering the question.

I wasn't worried about the slight back and forth play as much as I was with the 120 degrees of slip.

In my new experience as a safe owner, I think I was feeling it out for lack of a better way of putting it. I guess in my mind, something so solid and sturdy would never have components that could slip, or loosen over time. You addressed my questions, though. From your explanation I now know that the mechanism in the door can be amazingly secure and strong, but somewhat fragile at the same time.

Since that event, I've been handling it with kid gloves; and will continue to do so for the life of the unit.

Thanks again.