The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 1, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Can people weigh in on this proposed IL legislation?

A bill was recently reintroduced in Illinois called the

ILLINOIS STREET GANG AND RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS LAW.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...Sess=&Session=

I don’t know exactly what this legislation does. Proponents say it creates a powerful tool for fighting gangs by combining RICO statutes with gun laws.

Our NRA rep believes it could be used against law abiding gun owners.

I respect our NRA legislative representative; he works tirelessly to reinstate the Second Amendment rights for Illinois citizens and works tirelessly to prevent anti-gun politicians in Illinois from eroding our freedoms even further. And he has a lot more experience with these things than I do and knows a lot more about how laws can be implemented versus how they are written. But I just see this as a generally useless and mostly harmless piece of legislation.

I don’t see how RICO could be used against a law-abiding gun owner. I also don’t see how it will help in the fight against street gangs. If RICO could be used effectively against gangs then it would be, if it can’t be used effectively against gangs, how does coupling it with Illinois UUW statutes suddenly make RICO effective?

The ISRA plans to oppose this. It seems to me that the bill has potential to give the NRA/ISRA a black eye in the court of public opinion for hindering efforts to fight gangs.