The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 19, 2015, 04:20 PM   #1
TheFineLine

So I "pulled the trigger" on the S&W 13-3 :) It's been around the world once r twice

I picked this up yesterday. It is a Smith and Wesson Model 13-3 with a 3 inch barrel in 357mag. The bluing is 80%ish, the lockup is very tight, the trigger is fantastic, and the rifling looks as crisp as the day it came out of the factory so carried alot and fired little. At $450 I think it was a great deal and am stoked to put it in my permanent collection. The S&W historian says it was made in 1987 and shipped to Parker Hale LTD in England. From research and assistance from others we have determined that some of the import proofs are England, Belgium, and US re-import. Anyone here a proof mark aficionado?

the red is a reflection of the desk

Last edited by TheFineLine; May 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:35 PM   #2
Skeets
Member in memoriam

I followed your thoughts up to purchase.Congrats,and I'll read along asTFL experts answer your questions.
Old May 19, 2015, 08:36 PM   #3
MrBorland

I'm no expert, so others ought to chime in, but the crowned L is likely Belgian, and looks like their "ammunition control" proof:
http://www.thegungeek.com/SGP/viewto...p?f=62&t=13556

The starred Y and underscored P are then likely Belgian date codes. If so, the starred Y indicates Delsaux Francois was the controller of date codes from 1974 to 1996, and the underscored P indicates a proof date of 1988, both of which are consistent with the age of your gun:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

If it was initially shipped to England, it likely went quickly to Belgium. If it then went to France, the lettering above might be a French import stamp, but I can't make the letters out. I'm guessing it then came back to the US via Fairfax, VA.
Old May 19, 2015, 09:56 PM   #4
TheFineLine

Those are great finds Mr. Borland. It was proposed on another thread that the star was a french import marking. On that same thread this came up, " John M. Appleton Company of Fairfax, Virginia, was an importer of British firearms in the early 2000's." So that is possibly what the top left mark is instead of the proposed Taiwanese. Also stated, "The cursive "L" in a circle with a flaming bomb on top is Liege, Belgium. That, I'm certain. It's a major port of entry into the EU and you see that proof on most every S&W that's taken a European vacation" Those comments along with your date marking references nail it down. Thanks!

Last edited by TheFineLine; May 19, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Carmady

I'd guess the "FFX. VA" in the last pic stands for Fairfax, Virginia.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Model12Win

Dude!

You just bought one of my dream guns!!!

A 3" model 13 round butt is on my bucket list. All I have to say is, NNNOOOOIIIICCCCEEE!!!!!!
Old May 20, 2015, 06:53 AM   #7
SaxonPig

Europeans love to stamp guns. I assume the number on the frame suggests it went to a police agency. If sent to England that makes sense as those people became sheep long ago regarding personal weapons. I am always surprised when a handgun shipped to Europe makes it back to the US.
Old May 20, 2015, 06:58 AM   #8
SaxonPig

I am a bit surprised at a 357 revolver being used in Europe.
Old May 20, 2015, 09:16 AM   #9
TheFineLine

There should be 'like' buttons on here.

I'd like to find the original type grips for it. Any suggestions of where to look?
Old May 20, 2015, 08:00 PM   #10
spacecoast

Wow, nice gun. I'd take it in a heartbeat at $450, probably at $600 too.
Old May 21, 2015, 05:39 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Interesting. I can't read the name, but it appears that the reimporter is in my town in Virginia.

FFX VA is the abbreviation for Fairfax, Virginia.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:00 AM   #12
KyJim

Really nice revolver and it's always nice to have a gun with a bit of history. I also want to obtain a three inch Model 13 at some point. I think three inch revolvers are the perfect size for waistband carry. The barrel's short enough to conceal but long enough to have a decent sight radius. Congratulations!
Old May 21, 2015, 08:06 AM   #13
WVsig

Welcome. To the club... I paid a bit ore than you did. I would have bought that gun in a hot minute. Here is a pic of mine.

I also agree that FFX VA = Fairfax VA lived in the area for about 35 years.

Old May 21, 2015, 10:18 AM   #14
TheFineLine

Very nice WVsig. I'm about to embark on a quest to find original type grips for it. Your bluing appears to be in a bit better shape than mine. Color me jealous.
Old May 21, 2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Joe_Pike

I picked one about six years ago for $275 at a local shop. It needs original grips, too. Then I picked up its brother, the model 65 with a 3" barrel about five years ago for $359 also without original grips. Those are the only two I have ever seen in my area with 3" barrels. You have a good find there since they are pretty hard to come by (other than Gunbroker).
Old May 21, 2015, 05:18 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

Very nice! I love the length of a three inch barrel - I've never run across a 13 but sure would snatch one up if I did!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 21, 2015, 06:22 PM   #17
HighValleyRanch

I like the looks of that 3 inch Smith!

I have a 2.5 inch model 19.

Is that 3 inch going to give much more energy from a .357 than the 2.5 inch?
Old May 21, 2015, 07:05 PM   #18
Nathan

Wow! One of my MUST haves also!!!!

And a great price!
Old June 7, 2015, 10:52 AM   #19
jonthirkell

I was an active pistol shooter in the UK in the 70s 80s and early 90s.

It seems likely that the Model 13 was imported into the UK for a gun club user - a few guys in my Club had Model13s. It was probably then sold onto Belgium with the handgun ban of 1996.

It was a way of getting some money back as the state only offered a compensation payment of £150.00 (for a Model 13 would be worth about, from memory, £200 - £250 at that time). Also saved a fine piece of engineering from being chucked into a Blast Furnace.
Old June 9, 2015, 07:57 PM   #20
TheFineLine

Thanks for the info Jon and welcome to the forum! I love that it has seen the world and knowing where and why is great.