The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2013, 01:27 AM   #26
rclark

Quote:
If the current buying panic is like the rest, it will take at least 6 months before things return to normal.
If the media and congress, the executive branch, (and states like NY) keep 'talking' and 'implementing' the reduction in 2nd Amendment rights .... You'll see it for a 'lot' longer.... At least 4 years I image.

Pretty much wiped here too. Just getting .22 is tough. Was in Bozeman today I saw 5 (or so) bottles of powder on the shelf ... none of course what I use. No .457 balls for BP. No primers ... No #11 caps. Everything I tried to 'find' was not not available there.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:41 PM   #27
hootey

Went by Wally-World this morning to get some groceries and wondered thru the sporting goods section to look at all the empty shelves for reloading supplies. To my surprise, they had a lot of Sierra's and Nosler's(all calibers) bullets on the shelves again. I was just standing there staring, the sporting goods manager walked up and said "yer not dreaming, they came in first thing this morning with a lot of shotgun shells. Better grab what ya want, they won't last long". I grabbed some sierras.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:39 AM   #28
er775

went to a local shop tues and grabbed the last can of superformance, the guy said he was getting a shipment of powder in Feb but would be 6-8 months before the next shipment.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #29
adamc

None in my neck of the woods..
small pistol primers look to be more valuable than gold

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old January 31, 2013, 01:37 PM   #30
overhead

Natchez had some Tula small pistol primers in stock earlier today, I think they are still available.

Edit**They are sold out now, that did not take long. **

Last edited by overhead; January 31, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:28 PM   #31
hooligan1

There is a store just nort of me that has 4 or 5 lbs of IMR 4831......
Old January 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #32
hootey

It won't last long....
Old February 1, 2013, 06:55 AM   #33
Ben Towe

The only way you're in luck around here on powder is if you use IMR7828. Everyone has tons of that stuff, in fact it was the only powder Bass Pro in Nashville had on the shelf. I guess there aren't enough big magnum shooters around here to buy it all up. .224 bullets are pretty hard to come by and the only large rifle primers I've seen are Remington 9 1/2s, so I bought some. I did score some H380 and some W760 the other day.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:20 PM   #34
rajbcpa

last august I went to 4 local stores and did not find primers.... i knew then that a very severe shortage was almost guaranteed....

I started to stockpile immediately using the Net. I accquired enough supplies for several years.....

last month NY past a law requiring background checks for ammo and ammo component supplies.....this will stop Interent sales of commercial ammo, primers, powder, brass, bullets to NY.

I am glad I stock piled. I knew in September Romney could not win and the situation would worsen.....
Old February 3, 2013, 01:15 PM   #35
Runswiththunder

I've found reloading components at on-line gun auction sites. Expect to pay a premium price. I recently acquired 5000 SRP for $300. The last time I checked they were going for $100 per 1000.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:41 PM   #36
tobnpr

Quote:
7K primers from Natchez last week that way.
And at only $33.00 a box, instead of $20...

I don't care if I don't shoot for a year. I won't support the gougers. I'll wait a month or two from Graf & Sons or PV to buy it from an honest supplier that isn't taking advantage of the shortage.

The fact that the major suppliers can choose to maintain "pre-panic" pricing means the manufacturers haven't raised their prices that much- and retailers like this are "gouging", plain and simple.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:40 PM   #37
spacecoast

Quote:
And at only $33.00 a box, instead of $20...
Actually, they were only $18.99, and still less than $26 per thousand even with shipping and the hazmat fee. I got an email this morning that they had been shipped. I guess they are so overloaded it's taking 8-10 days to get the orders out. No signs of gouging, I've bought from Natchez several times and I think they are a good outfit.

Last edited by spacecoast; February 3, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:46 PM   #38
overhead

I paid 18.99 as well when I ordered from them a couple of days ago.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:21 PM   #39
Icedragon

can u do just the depriming and swagering of the brass? i do not have the tool for swagering.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:00 PM   #40
stu925

Picked up some large rifle primers the other day, local gun shop had them and way over priced. Bought 1000 primers for $50, man that hurt but he's the only game in town right now so had to do it. Only other primers he had were Large Mag Pistol, seems like small rifle is worth their weight (and then some) in gold.

Stu
Old February 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #41
spacecoast

Present for me in the mail tonight...

... now to find that .22LR ammo!
Old February 7, 2013, 08:12 PM   #42
hounddawg

I had a feeling this was going to happen so last summer I made sure I had about a 18 month supply of powder, primers and .22LR ammo. Glad I did that now, and will repeat that when these start to run low.

funny thing is now people are going to hoard enough powder and primers to last them for years. Poor primer and powder manufactures will have a glut of it a year from now but no one will be buying because of the 50,000 SPP's sitting on the bench that their grand kids will be loading or selling as antiques 50 years from now

reminds me of this

Johnny Carson once caused a near month long toilet paper shortage in the U.S. in December of 1973. In his show, he said, “You know what’s disappearing from the supermarket shelves? Toilet paper… There’s an acute shortage of toilet paper in the United States.” Americans promptly went out and bought up every piece of toilet paper they could find. Supermarkets tried to ration it, but to no avail. By noon the next day, pretty much all the nation’s supermarkets were sold out.

After several days of toilet paper shortages due to this hysteria, Carson went on the air to try to explain it had been a joke and apologized. But because the shelves were almost always empty of toilet paper at this time, whenever some would come in, people would buy it all and hoard it. This toilet paper shortage lasted a full three weeks.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....aper-shortage/
Old February 7, 2013, 08:25 PM   #43
Colorado308shooter

I made sure I had a 12 month supply of powder, primers, and bullets in 40 S&W, 9mm, 223 and .308.

I completed my stockpile a month before Newtown happened, timing could not have been better.

I also have a two year supply of 22 LR, shooting two thousand rounds/year.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:56 PM   #44
Daggitt

Picked up some CFE 223 powder tonight at one place. Also got 5000 rounds of 22lr to pick up from a friend who got some. There is ammo out there it's a little scarce though to be sure.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:48 PM   #45
907arcticcat

Primers and powder are the easy part. It's the bullets that are hard to stock in equal quantities!

Last edited by 907arcticcat; February 7, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:03 PM   #46
Icedragon

that looks like the gun shop i went to today, they had boxes of primer too.
$40 per 1000 LRP CCI.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:04 AM   #47
tobnpr

Quote:
Actually, they were only $18.99, and still less than $26 per thousand even with shipping and the hazmat fee.
Lucky you...

Now they're over $35/box...

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...tle=CCI%20#200 Large Rifle Primers 1000/box

This is getting ridiculous. I like to shoot, but know what....it was already expensive enough for myself and my sons to go send 300 rounds in a day's shooting. They keep up this gouging, I'm going to take up golf.

Eff em. Once all the hoarders are stocked up, I think the manufacturers are going to see a lot of stuff start sitting on their shelves and prices will return to their prior levels, which were always a function of supply and demand.

No one is shooting "more"... in fact, probably less since prices have risen so much. The "demand" isn't due to more shooting- it's due to panic buying like we see in the picture above.35,000 primers...really?
Old February 8, 2013, 09:22 AM   #48
spacecoast

Quote:
No one is shooting "more"... in fact, probably less since prices have risen so much.
Very likely true. I'm taking a couple of kids to the range to burn up some ammo this weekend (a commitment made prior to the panic) but I'm doing less of that this year as long as current conditions exist.

My recent purchase of 7K primers was a little larger than normal in an effort to dilute the darned hazmat fee. I was down to 1K standard pistol primers.

Tula small pistol magnum primers are back in stock at Natchez this morning for $19.99.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...M&src=exrbSrch
Old February 8, 2013, 09:31 AM   #49
ScottRiqui

In an ironic bit of humor, I'm expecting delivery of 5,000 large pistol primers today, and today is also the day that I'm sending my only pistol that uses large-primer ammo back to the factory to hopefully resolve a feeding issue.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #50
hodaka

hounddawg - that is a great story and the anology really fits.